Hello from Budapest, Hungary

Peter G

TVWBB Member
Hi everyone,
my name is Peter and I live in the capitol of Hungary. So I'm not the guy next door :)
I managed to buy my first Weber Genesis Silver B a month ago and it was a real challenge.
I have several questions due to the lack of knowledge in gas grilling and may have difficulties according to the language so please be patient :).
Thank you!

Welcome, Peter!

You will find plenty of help from the members here, so be sure to ask questions.

Hi Peter and welcome!! Well.... virtually you are next door! Can't wait to visit Budapest sometime. Everyone I know that's been there has come away awed by its beauty, culture and history.

Thanks Enrico and Pete!

@Enrico yes, just a little bit :)
@Pete you are very welcome, good idea, everyone you know can't be wrong...

Last edited:
Welcome to the group. Get that grill working and you won't be hungry in Hungary much longer. Looking forward to seeing some posts with ethnic foods and recipes.

Haha, good to read Hungarian here, thx.

Szívesen. :) I was recently in Budapest as I have a client there (MOL). Also spent time in Szolnok; I prefer Budapest. You should be able to make some amazing BBQ rubs if you buy paprika and other spices from the Central Market. It is quite the place! I cannot beleive how good the paprika spice is from Hungary.

MOL is the biggest company in Hungary.
Budapest is beautiful, Szolnok is not quite.
I bought paprika yesterday in the country. The lady who sells has a big yard and she grows, dries, grates and packs the paprika. It smells fantastic.
Do you speak Hungarian?

Csak egy kis. :) I speak 5 other languages, most fairly fluently but I find Hungarian very difficult. Interestingly I speak some German and I did quite well with that in Szolnok. It certainly helped to read the menus. For me, Hungarian was closer to Turkish (it's AFAIK an Uralic language when much of what I know n that region is Slavic)

You are very lucky to buy paprika direct from the farmer. Here we are lucky to get peppers - hot and sweet - but nothing comes close to a good paprika.

You must BBQ some goose as I found that to be the very best dish in Hungary - even better than traditional goulash. Plus goose is very fat so it will BBQ quite nice on the rotisserie or as "beer can goose".

OFF Csak egy kis - understandable but wrong, it is Csak egy kicsit ;-) We have Turkish words (they were our guest for 150 years :)) but Hungarian and Turkish are two different languages.
Do you often come to Hungary? ON

I never grilled goose but will try.

Buying my Weber gasser is an interesting story. Here you can rarely find older ones, only one is advertised for sale. The seller wants $280 and it is 125 miles away and it is hard to find out the condition according to the poor photos. So it is out of question...

So I bought mine in Switzerland :) for CHF 45 ~ $48. We planned our holiday there and I thought I would be able to transport it on a roof rack. I was wrong but fortunately a mover had an empty truck from Switzerland to Hungary so brought it for ~ $64.

But I was surprised by how dirrrty it was. At least 1 finger thick burnt grease and rust. I will post my questions (Weber gas) according to cleaning, accessories etc.

Told you I did not speak much Hungarian! LOL Sounds like you got a decent deal even though it needed cleaning. $280 would be very expensive in Hungary (I could not beleive how low the food prices were inSzolnok - but considering how low wages are...)

Back