Roasted Veggies

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
I roasted some veggies in a 12 Lodge CI skillet today for lunch (leftovers for dinner)..

3-4 small red potatoes, half of a gigantic onion, half of some sort of squash I got from a neighbor, a couple tomatoes a day or two beyond their peak, and some white mushrooms. I cut everything up, filled as much into the CI pan as I dared, and poured in enough Wishbone Italian Dressing to get it kicked out of this (the Healthy Grilling) forum.

The potatoes were finishing slowly so I threw them on the grill....direct for a bit and then indirect to finish....mixed it all back together... Oh and for my lunch I added two hot dogs w/ ketchup, mustard, dill relish, hot sauce.

The dogs get it kicked out of this forum.... but that's OK, I'm skipping the dogs for dinner & drinking budweiser :)

(yes, I'm facepalming right now).

If anyone has a favorite way to do a roasted veggies dish I'd be interested in trying it.. I'm thinking some balsamic & ACVs and some other spices.. but I haven't tried much. I just had to add a little salt & this was really good.

...that's iced tea in the pic-----earl grey...

10620705_10202714207798237_6941126989981537583_n.jpg

Here's today's version with Eggplant, 4 large red potatoes, 1 red onion, a few stalks of celery, 3 gigantic carrots, a lot of mushrooms, a turnip, and a hatch chile.....

For the seasoning I took 1/4 cup EVOO, 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, 1/8 cup apple cider vinegar, some black & red pepper, kosher salt, basil, oregano. I mixed it all in my stock pot (veggies and seasoning), then poured (heaped) it into this pyrex pan, discarded almost all of the liquid that wasn't taken by the veggies, added ~1 cup of water, to veggies, covered with foil, and threw it on the genesis for 1.75 hours around 375F.

The rice is just a mixed blend with a little salt, sesame oil, red pepper flakes, and Chef Merito's chicken seasoning - I chopped a carrot & a couple stalks of celery & put them in towards the end. It's all real good!

1604803_10202792264429604_7769062228245799478_n.jpg

10698699_10202792264629609_4585957665934643190_n.jpg

Last edited:
What you goin healthy on us now:D Got to admit looks really good just add a rib eye and I'm in!

I'm trying :) ski season is coming up. I'd be OK if not for all the beer :)

I went hiking tonight but then friends came over (drinking)......... I took a PBJ for lunch but was tipped a gyro salad :) (sales call...... yes they bit.... ~4 hours later)

Most potatoes roast better when halved and par-boiled for about 20 minutes in boiling water, taken out and paper towel dried, slice a few cuts into the top of the potatoes and rub salt, pepper or I quite like a Cajun spice mix and then roast at 180 -200C until crispy...they should be soft and fluffy on the insides.

Clint, we usually cut up our veggies the night before, (onions, squash, assorted bell peppers, habanero, zucchini, broccoli,asparagus) and put it all in a bag with whatever marinade we feel like. The next day, it goes on the grill in the vegetable grilling pan. About half way through the cook, I like to sprinkle some Montreal steak seasoning on it as it gives it a little extra flavor. I'll try to remember to take pics this weekend.
Good luck on the healthy eating, The Struggle is REAL!!
Tim

I am not seeing the pictures but sounds good. I just picked up a Lodge 12" CI skillet and like it so far. Clint you mention adding the dressing but no extra oil correct? That is what I am struggling with understanding.

Back