1st Competition Clermont, Florida

So I decided to enter my 1st competition over the Labor Day Weekend. I only entered into the Ribs category.

I had very low expectations! I just did not want to come in last! HAHA!!

I placed 31 out of 36 teams. Not too bad for my first rodeo.

I really enjoyed myself and had so much fun! This is the point, right?

I learned so much as well and was able to meet some really nice people. It was a really wonderful learning experience. I can't wait till my next one!

Mainly I learned about presentation, and some other items around when to cut the ribs, how to cut, etc.

Here are some pics.

Thanks for looking!

My rib box (FBA requires no garnish) I should of cut the backs straighter, and some more off the top by the bone to make them more evenly cut. Hey, its a learning experience.

I did a dry rub, but next time i'm going to do more of a glaze/sauce to get the shine to really come through.

Here is the scorecard: (1st 3 judges loved it, last 3 killed me: Team name is 850 BBQ)

Looking good, Austin. As your OP reflected, it's a learning process, but it's one hell of a tasty and enjoyable one!

Austin how did you find this event? I have been looking for local comps to either attend or get my feet wet as you have. Clermont is 12 miles and I missed it. I might have answered my own question by looking closer at your post, " the florida BBQ assoc".
Thanks
Dave

Back