Another Weber Genesis 1000 restoration

Alejandro DK

TVWBB Fan
This is my second post after introducing myself in the "Introduce yourself" forum. I wanted to share my restoration story, our 5 year old Great Outdoor grill needed a new heat plate and a new burner, total cost 90 bucks!! I decided to buy and restore an old weber, after searching for a week on CL I found an old Weber Genesis 1000 red top for 50 bucks, with a gas tank and a complete manifold for NG...not bad. The burners, grates and the flavorizer bars were in good condition too.

The side table needed to be replaced, the original owner had mounted the lid handle backwards so the front of the handle was actually in perfect condition. This is the final result:

Total investment:
2 cans of heat resistant paint, 9 bucks
Oak wood form hard floor leftovers, 2 bucks
I had sand paper, stain and outdoors polyurethane...so that was free.
Generic rotisserie, 40 bucks
Elbow grease, free!
Total investment, grill and all...101 bucks!!!

Last edited:
That 1000 looks great! I've done my own 1000 and a few other Weber silver gassers and flipped them, a lot of work but sure is nice to bring a great grill back to life. Also welcome to the forum!

Alejandro;
That is a VERY nice restoration! You should be PROUD of that job-you ended up with a great lookin' grill! Now, you'll have to show us your cooks!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

That 1000 looks great! I've done my own 1000 and a few other Weber silver gassers and flipped them, a lot of work but sure is nice to bring a great grill back to life. Also welcome to the forum!
Thanks Rich, very gratifying indeed to bring it back to life! It brings a smile every time I uncover it

Nice job. Advice on the rotisserie. Put some liquid in the pan and you can have gravy. Don't let those drippings burn

That grill has the 13 flavor bars right? I fixed up one about 3-4 months ago. With all those bars in I couldn't get the temp over 600 degrees. It was a treat to cook on just wasn't the greatest Steak Searing grill weber has made.

I gave mine to a work friend who went to culinary school and he loves it. He told me he ended up taking out the top set of flavor bars and that gave him higher temps.

photo-120.jpg

That grill has the 13 flavor bars right? I fixed up one about 3-4 months ago. With all those bars in I couldn't get the temp over 600 degrees. It was a treat to cook on just wasn't the greatest Steak Searing grill weber has made.

I gave mine to a work friend who went to culinary school and he loves it. He told me he ended up taking out the top set of flavor bars and that gave him higher temps.

Really? Mine gets to 550 in 8.5 minutes, I'm pretty sure it is above 600 in 10 min. It sears steaks and veggies like a charm (CI grates) Since the 13 bars and the burners were in good shape I didn't get new ones. Now we got the Grillgrates and couldn't be happier!

That sounds about right 10 Minutes to get right at 600. The times I cooked on it I used the pci grates. I did find some cast iron grates before I gave away, and I gave him both sets of grates. But I don't know if I cooked on it using the cast iron grates.

But, I remember thinking the distance from the burners to the grate was more than I thought it should of been. But I do remember it cooked chicken and burgers very well with no flare up's.

I know if. Took out both grates and turned one sideways and set it on top of the bars I'd give u a killer sear.

I like how u did the polyurethane, I just rubbed the wood on mine with linseed oil. Yours looks much better.

I only had to get flavorizer bars and went with the 20ga SS from Rivers Edge on amazon. (cheapest I could find in SS)

Back