Free (semi-crippled) 4.2 heatermeter to who wants it

Geoff Parris

EDIT: It has a new home! Wayne with the quickness!

I built a 4.2 board up and botched the LCD soldering (don't drink and solder kids). I ended up getting it desoldered and turned around but the gold pads on the PCB got messed up in the process and I think some of the paths aren't connected. So, the display doesn't work but that's about it. Everything else works great and have even done a cook with it. It is a Tindie board so has the pre-tested thermocouple parts. I ended up just ordering some additional boards and built another one so I don't really need this one anymore.

I figured somebody in the community might be ok with wifi control only and could make good use of my mistake. Just pay shipping and it's yours.

Last edited:
I sent you a pm.

What a deal, specially since Bryan put on hold the sale of his boards with the SMD thermocouple stuff already soldered on... I know that put a kink in the plans to go TC for a few people. It's quite generous of you to give it away rather than re-using parts on your next build...
Wayne, if you get the board you should try to fix it. There are 12 traces that lead to the display, if you are patient and use a multimeter to check continuity on each pin you can install a jumper wire to fix whatever trace is damaged. I have a display that was installed on a couple HM's and ended up with some broken traces, I've got three jumper wires on it at this point but it's still working...

Ya I had thought about throwing in some jumpers and trying to fix but my laziness is far more strong that my patience =) I actually really enjoy soldering these PCB's together for some strange reason. Crank up some music and get to work! I surprised myself and successfully installed all of the SMD stuff on my new board too! Protip: don't drink a bunch of coffee before attempting.... and find a magnifying glass. Enjoy Wayne!

So, besides the Raspberry Pi (and sd card, and power for the rasPi), what do I need to do to hook this up. Its been sitting since I got it. I know I'll need probes. How do I hook a fan to this (and any tips on hooking the fan to the WSM)? If you're just itching to be helpful, what's needed to hook a servo & fan to it?

Do not use the Raspberry pi power usb cord. Use a 12v wall adapter, of at least 1 amp and it connects to the heatermeter. I would answer the rest, but I am at work, so sombody will chime in with more.

I'm mostly concerned with the electrical connection to the fan. I haven't found that tidbit in my searches, just what to solder.

So, I connected the blue wire and the white-blue wire of a (ridiculously nice, shielded) ethernet cable to the black and red wires of a squirrel-cage fan. I get no output on the fan. Something I did showed a 3% blip on the graph, but I don't think the fan ever spun.

Am I missing something? How do I manually set the output?

http://ficklin.afraid.org:5000

Apparently, I needed a probe in Probe0. When I did that (actually, when I enabled it) the output picked up. (See, its the little things that matter!)

Is that normal? I see that probe0 is a different color than probe1,2,&3. Does that account for the temperature offset I noticed when I moved the probe from probe1 to probe0?

So, I won't even admit to what I thought was probe0. I'll say it wasn't right though.

Now that I realize that probe0 is next to probes 1, 2, & 3, I see that its got a different kind of connector. Apparently this board's set up to use a thermocouple pit probe. ...That I do not have. Is there a way to select which of the remaining probes is used as the pit probe (since probe0 is disabled and that doesn't seem to be doing what I want it to) ???

I feel like I'm close to a working system, ...but I don't know where to look.

Thanks guys!

PSA: Don't charcoal barefooted. The sound of your foot cooking isn't something that's easily removed from your head.

Also, I just ordered a thermocouple.

If your pit probe (probe 0) has the different two pronged connector then you have the thermocouple pit probe. You can use any TYPE K thermocouple with a mini thermocouple connector...

Until then you can use Food Probe 1 (probe 1) to run the pit. In the HM config just DISABLE PROBE 0 and Probe 1 will take over as pit probe. It may seem a bit odd, as the web display will not move Probe1 to the top of the web page or anything, so even though the Pit Temp area may not show the proper temperature the HM is running the pit via the temperature you see on the FOOD 1 portion of the web page. On the HM LCD the Pit Temp will show the same as the FOOD1 temp though. Probably confusing for a new HM user.

The same place you select the probe type. I assume you selected the proper probe type for each probe you are using in the HM Config already?

If not, load the HM web page, click the CONFIGURATION button, log in, there you will see the config for each probe. Under PROBE 0, next to TYPE, click the down arrow and select DISABLED. Likewise, for each food probe do the same but select the type of food probes you are using. When you get a thermocouple go back to PROBE 0 and select THERMOCOUPLE, and make sure the mV/C is set to 5.

Is there a way to select which of the remaining probes is used as the pit probe (since probe0 is disabled and that doesn't seem to be doing what I want it to) ???

I think I was trying to describe here, the same thing you're telling me to do. I've set probe 0 to be disabled and as long as it disabled I get no output on the fan. You can take a look at what I've got at http://ficklin.afraid.org:5000.

Probe1 is at 224, probe2 is at 229-ish, and the setpoint is at 235. No fan output. (Apparently I have vents too wide-open yet as the temp continues to climb. I moved the setpoint to 250. Still no fan output.)

Last edited:

Back