Penrose-style pickled sausage

Dwain Pannell

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I am not 100% sure where I got this recipe. But as a kid, I remember eating these and this is REALLY close if not spot on.

"This recipe is about as close as I've come so far.

Penrose (later bought by ConAgra Foods) mixed the spices into the sausage before cooking and pickling. So, in order to achieve the desired level of spicy goodness the brine needs to be VERY spicy!

This recipe makes a one quart jar of pickled sausage. Scale up or down as desired.

- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1/2 tbs Ground Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tbs red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp minced Garlic.
- 1 tbs dried minced onion
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1 tbs salt
- Lg pinch all spice

- 28 oz pkg Hillshire Farms 'lil Smokies, or other precooked link sausage, cut in two. (MUST be precooked!) Kielbasa sliced about 1/2 inch thick works also. Hot dogs just don't work.

- Or, use to pickle Boiled Eggs!

Directions

1* On medium-high heat, combine the water, salt, vinegar, and spices.

2* Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes in a well ventilated area.

NOTE: when you're simmering the brine, make sure you have a ventilator fan running or a window and door open, the vinegar and Cayenne pepper boiling is kinda' hard on a the eyes! Almost like mace...

3* Place precooked sausage into a 1 qt sterile jar. Fill jar but don't pack tightly.

4* Pour the hot vinegar mixture in with the sausage, If there isn't enough, add some vinegar. Secure the lid.

5* Let cool, then place in the 'frige. keep Refrigerated after opening.

6* Ready to eat in 5 to 7 days.

When opened for the first time, there will be a layer of fat on top and the underside of the lid, remove if you want too.

Formulated by Otis with sampling and input from Don."

The original:

1ibh8x.jpg

Last edited:

Back