Sweet Sauce by Aaron Franklin

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
I found this recipe in the article Franklin BBQ, By The Numbers on Yahoo! Food.

"Sweet Sauce"
by Aaron Franklin

14 oz. ketchup
5 oz. water
2.5 oz. apple cider vinegar
2.5 oz. white vinegar
4.5 Tbsp. brown sugar
2.5 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp. chili powder
.5 Tbsp. Kosher salt
.5 Tbsp coarse-ground black pepper
1 tsp. cumin

Mix all ingredients in a pot and simmer until the flavors are well combined, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Once cool, store in an air-tight jar or bottle in the refrigerator. “It should stay good for months!” says Aaron.

Note: Ounce measurements above are fluid ounces, not ounces by weight.

I made this recipe Chris... and I hated it.
But let me tell you WHY...

the prescribed amounts of the apple cider vinegar and the white vinegar were NOT the amounts I used... I completely screwed that up...

I will try this AGAIN, this time reading CLOSELY to the amount of EVERY ingredient.

IMG_0600.JPG

Last edited:
This one will be in the rotation for a while. It just needs to pass the wife test, ...the real sweet-bbq-sauce aficionado. (I like how it tastes ...without being syrupy sweet.)

This is a good recipe for BBQ Sauce... I love it, I add some chipotle to it for some smoky heat...

BBQ Sauce
Careful with this link. I clicked and it brought up a full-screen page saying I needed to install Java before proceeding. Already have Java installed, and the URL looked sketchy. Closed the window and tried again and this time got the recipe page.

You've been warned! :)

I may give this one a try sometime. Looks like it will be really sweet, as much sugar as ketchup!

Thoughts? Try the one I posted. It's good. Add some chipotle to it. Delish.
I liked the Franklin sauce a lot. Had it with a tri-tip sandwich, delicious! It makes about half a large ketchup bottle's worth of sauce, and that's what I ended up storing it in!

Back