HELP! Need a recipe for a work contest!

Christopher H

TVWBB Fan
Hi all,

I was just informed at our department picnic this Friday there will be both an appetizer and dessert contest. I'm thinking I could enter something in the appetizer contest but I'm not sure what. Just some smoked wings (easier since I work 6:30am-5pm it would be tought to do a PB)?

Any ideas on other KILLER smoked (or even non-smoked) apps?

Ok.. Your first advantage is you have a ton of people here with great recipe ideas.

2) Most people have horrible taste in food. Just think of all the ads you see on TV for all these chains -and so many people think that's good stuff!

3) You can grill pineapple with a brown sugar, dark rum, vanilla glaze.. you need some (real) butter in there for a binder. Or you can slice open bananas and fill them with similar ingredients.. Appetizer and/or dessert..

But good luck and let's see pics of your winning recipe and your award!

I did these things called pig candy the other week that were great. You take smoked sausage and cut them into small pieces and then wrap them with super thick cut bacon as to make a cup ( you want the bacon to be higher than the sausage). you then tooth pick the bacon on the sausage and place on smoker, then you put a healthy pinch of brown sugar in that cup part. As the bacon cooks the sugar melts and makes a bacon sugar sauce. you cook them on the smoker until the bacon it cooked. They were a hit at my buddies 40th birthday party. More popular than my chicken, brisket, or pork.

If I smoked wings Thursday night, would they still be warm if I reheated them in the morning in the oven and then stuck them in a foil-lined cooler?

Last edited:
I think so, or you could get up early and cook them in the morning and put in at cooler to keep warm-- either way.

I go to the gym at 5:45 and my smoker isn't at my place so doing them before work is a no-go. I am dropping them off at a friend's house and she plans on warming them up and I'm picking them up to take to the picnic.

MOINK balls, ABTs, the smoked mushroom dip in the recipe section on this site, smoked trout dip etc.

You could do the pork butt a day or more in advance, pull it and cool it, hit it with some apple juice and a touch of sauce and tell your friend to reheat it in a 300 oven covered for at least an hour. That would work great.

Hi all,

I was just informed at our department picnic this Friday there will be both an appetizer and dessert contest. I'm thinking I could enter something in the appetizer contest but I'm not sure what. Just some smoked wings (easier since I work 6:30am-5pm it would be tought to do a PB)?

Any ideas on other KILLER smoked (or even non-smoked) apps?

Will you have time to cook onsite?

ABTs! Or Maybe even some of Chris's Salmon - Brined Appetizer-Style http://virtualweberbullet.com/salmon2.html

No time to cook on site unfortunately.....ABTs I'm not sure if coworkers would like. A lot of people fear even the word jalapeno! As of right now I'm sticking with the wings.

Last edited:

Back