A Tasket, a Tisket, I Messed Up Another Brisket

Eugene A

TVWBB Fan
Hello, Everyone:

This is Round 3 for me trying to cook brisket.

The first one really doesn't count. I did Myron Mixon's recipe for brisket in the oven. My wife thought it was good. I didn't like it. I thought it was a bit dry, flavorful, but dry. The second one was Mixon's recipe for brisket, on the kettle. Again, my wife thought it was good, and I thought it was dry.

This time around I went with my instincts, plus a smattering of what I've been reading in my chat groups, in this forum, from Kingsford, from Weber, and on other barbecue websites.

A small piece of meat, 2.6 pounds. Myron Mixon's rub for beef. Beef broth injection, using a bouillon cube in water. Injection and rub about a half hour before putting the meat on the cooker (WSM 18.5). Internal temp of 160. Wrap in foil, back on the cooker until internal temp of 190. Off the cooker, and in the cooler, for two hours. (I didn't plan this last part. It just happened that the meat was done when it was done, two hours before we planned to eat).

As I was slicing the meat, the juices came pouring out, filling the foil. I poured the juices over the slices in the serving platter. So far, so good.

The meat was tough, and surprisingly dry. Only about two or three minutes between slicing and serving. The flavor was there, as was the aroma.

I thought I was cutting against the grain...maybe I wasn't. Maybe I cut the slices too thick. Oddly, I had to apply some pressure on the knife to cut through the meat, i.e. it didn't slice easily.

We discussed it while eating, concluding that I should aim for a lower cooking temp -- I was shooting for 225; but, my smoker is in direct sunlight, and the cooker temps fluctuated between 230 and 245, except when clouds passed overhead or when the cooker was finally in the shade later that afternoon -- wrap at 160, and remove from the cooker between 195 and 200, letting it rest for whatever amount of time I have until dinner time.

All ye of broader experience and greater talent, advise me -- what hath I done wrong, besides too small a piece of meat, and what couldeth I do to make it right?

Note: the facts here may vary slightly from another post in another forum. My focus previously was on the WSM. My focus here is on the brisket.

Last edited:
So if it was tough its probably under cooked you shouldnt hit a temp and just take it off you should probe for tender.
Sounds like your cooking a flat which has less fat maybe try a full packer or a point if you can find it.
When you pull it off the smoker do you let it rest for a hr or go right to cutting. that could explain the juice loss.

I think your temps are right on....ten degrees one way or the other is not a big deal. I bet your close to getting this thing licked just keep it up and post photos.

I think you yanked it way to early. Throw pull temps out the window. Start to probe around 195. Once the probe falls through the point then yank it. FYI, I've had briskets go as high as 215 before they gave it up

Hello, Everyone: Thank you for your input.

Regarding the quality of the meat, I bought it at Publix. It looked good, a nice fat cap, and small enough for two.

Regarding "pull temp," I checked several recipes for brisket, and everyone advised to "pull" the meat at around 190-195. I chose 190 to start. I guess it was the wrong choice.

I put the meat on the smoker at around 11am, figuring four to five hours. Once again, I guess I have to start early to allow time to complete the cook, and it can stay in the cooler until it's time to eat.

I have a package of 12" skewers. I can use one of those to "probe" the meat for tenderness.

As I said earlier, we'll try again with a larger cut, maybe in the 5-7 pound category.

Flavor was there, aroma was there, tenderness wasn't there...I guess two outta three ain't bad, but it ain't good either.

I'll keep trying.

When you remove it to hold warm in the cooler make sure to let it rest 20-30 minutes to stop the cooking process before wrapping and placing in the cooler.
The only way to be sure your meat is done is to probe for tender. You can use your digital thermometer to do it just don't turn it on ;)

Eugene I was in the same boat as you for my first couple briskets.
Like Bob said temp is a guide to start checking for doneness with those skewers you have.
Start poking the flat when your in the 190 range and when it goes in without much resistance in the larger parts of the flat your done. Check every 20 minutes or so.
Then take it off the pit dont foil it closed yet so the steam can get out and let it rest for 30 minutes or more if your going to eat right away.
Then cover with foil and put int he cooler if you need to store it for a couple hrs.

I never go by temp alone, it's done when you can stick a bbq fork or something similar in and when you pull it out there is no resistance or meat holding the fork. like a hot knife into and out of butter.

Back