Weber Genesis Gold C (2000) Mica Colors - CL Find and Restoration

Robert Prospect

Weber Genesis Gold C (2000) Mica Burgundy - CL Find and Restoration

Hi folks! Long time lurker and Q owner. I recently aquired a 2000 Genesis Gold C (Mica Colors) that I plan on restoring. Since these seem to be fairly rare versions and utilize some different components, I will try to detail the restoration of the grill and possibly ask a few questions along the way!

I also wanted to say thank you for all the time and effort to keep this forum active and informative. It's a great help to newbies, like me, who are trying to pick up grilling and BBQ with these fine pieces of equipment.

The story: After scouting Craigslist for a few months for a good deal Genesis with side burner, I was finally able to snag one (after missing a gem of a Genesis Gold C and a free Genesis 3000). For the past month, a flea market, a few hours away, had been advertising a Weber BBQ with side burner, with no other information. After watching the price drop and sending a few emails, I finally received a photo (shown below) and was told the bottom line asking price was $80. Not knowing the the actual condition of the grill, I decided to take a chance and pick it up.

After renting a pickup, I made a trip down to the Hudson Valley. I arrived at the flea market to find a very nice, mother like woman running the store. She showed me the grill and apologized that she couldn't help me load it. Thankfully, I brought a few tools with me, so I removed all of the loose parts and the lid, so I could lift the frame into the truck.

Upon initial inspection, the outside of the unit is in pretty good. There is some surface rust on a few of the components and the paint is flaking on the sides of the lid. The inside was a slightly different story. The firebox, flavorizer bars, and grates were filthy. The grease tray looked like something was growing inside. But overall, the unit appears to be structurally sound with no rust through or rot. Nothing a few new parts and some elbow grease can't handle.

Hopefully I'll be able to tear down the unit to get a better idea of what I'm info, weather permitting. I'll add some more photos and details in my next segment: the teardown.

Thanks for reading along!

y1WPsLO.jpg

Last edited:
That model Gold is fairly rare, especially in the maroon color. The frame is an offshoot from the Genesis Platinum.
From the photo, it appears to be in really good condition already. Having the interior coated with grease will help preserve things. ;)
Looking forward to the rehab! Congrats and welcome to the forum.

Damn you got a gem there. What they did is use the Summit 400 series frame (much heavier and better than Genesis) and Summit side burner (again MUCH better) and put a Genesis inside them. Don't let anyone get it from you unless they pry it from your cold dead fingers ;-)

Thanks guys! The frame does match the ones shown above. It's quite beefy, more so that most of the older Genesis unit's i've seen.

The teardown: I got a head of myself and forgot to take photos (I can post photos of the parts, if anyone requests, and will take photos during cleaning and reassembly).

Even without looking at the schematics, the disassembly went smoothly. It's a very simple and solid design. For the most part, everything is solid with only some minor surface rust in spots. The only casualty was the bolt holding the firebox to the frame, which I'll try to find locally. The food basket and warming rack are also shot, I'm still debating on replacing them.

I only have a few trouble areas. The paint on the sides of the lid and firebox is flaking and bubbling, which isn't suprising for a unit of this age. I think I may end up stripping the existing paint with an angle grinder and wire cup brush and then repaint. I just need to do some searching on how to prep cast aluminum for repainting.

I also noticed a few spots on the main lid (enameled portion) where the enamel is worn off. These wear spots are found under where the lid end caps are, so I suspect they are from rubbing. I'm not sure sure if this will cause an issue in the future with corrosion. I'm not sure if this would be covered under warranty or if I've now voided the warranty by taking it apart!

Just run to a home center store and get a stainless steel bolt. Actually as long as it's apart buy all SS bolts.

I didn't do as deep of a dive as I wanted to and rushed the painting process, but overall I ended up with a great working grill. As per LMichael's suggestion, I replaced a majority of the hardware with SS. I broke a few of the self threading nuts when taking appart the lid, but found replacemens at Lowe's (hurray for gift cards). Other than the hardware and ignitors, I didn't have to replace a single piece. She cleaned up nicely. I'll post a few photos later.

I may get shunned for this, but I had to replace the standard piezo ingitors, so I upgraded to electronic ignitors. Charbroil makes an electronic ingniter retrofit kit that fits in the spot occuped by the original ignitor. I was able to reuse the existing Weber electrodes. The Weber gray push buttons rest perfectly on the top of the Charbroil ignitor head. I can't speak for the longevity of the ingitor kit and know that I will have to remove panels to replace the battery, but so far I'm liking this set up. In the future, I'd like to see if I can find a Weber kit that works.

Last edited:
I have the Green Gold C and I really like it. I found the burners and flavorizer bars are longer than the Genesis B model but I only had to replace the FB's and actually cut those down to fit in a Genesis B I restored. I have the cast iron grills and I found I like the CI over the SS grills I have in the Genesis B. I know you will enjoy it, it's a great grill.

That sure very nice looking color grill. I purchased a stainless steel Gold C 2003 almost look like your couple weeks ago. It has stainless steel burner, flavor bar, and grate for $100. It came with cover and briquettes. The grill need little cleaning due to not been use in the last few years. The 2 warming racks rusted so end up replace both for $25. I also purchased another Redhead 1100 including rotisserie, recipes booklet, and user manual for $75 last Saturday to restore.

Back