2014 Interview with Edna Schlosser, Weber R&D Product Tester

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
I had the great pleasure of meeting Edna Schlosser when I visited Weber-Stephen Products Co in 2008. Edna started working at Weber in 1987 in customer service then assumed the role of R&D product tester in 1994, a job she held until retiring in 2013. Edna is the wife of Erich Schlosser, the inventor of so many Weber products and innovations, including the One-Touch ash removal system, the Smokey Mountain Cooker, the Smokey Joe, the Jumbo Joe, Flavorizer bars, and many patents that go into Weber grills. The fact that Erich was the R&D technical guy and Edna became the R&D product evaluator just made sense!

What follows is an interview with Edna that appears in the 2014 edition of ORIGINAL, the "Culture Magazine For Grill, Pleasure & Lifestyle", a combination Weber grill magazine and product catalog from Germany.

This is a straight translation from German to English using Google Translate. It's not perfect, but you'll get the gist of it.

Credits: Photo by Clayton Hauck, Text by Lars Carlberg

--

qklIoL7.jpg

The company enjoys Weber Mrs. Schlosser a certain cult status, although they is already retired. Therefore, we have her here a few questions. And the charming and modest elderly lady was not aware that they are even in Germany a kind living legend.

Mrs. Schlosser, would you be so kind to give us a little bit to talk about themselves?

Yes, originally I'm from Germany. My family came from what is now Lithuania - back then it was still East Prussia. But I was just a baby, when we were in the vicinity of Hamburg are drawn. My husband was taken at also from Lithuania. Today we are both American citizens. He decided then, in the United States to go. In the 50s he was then drafted by the U.S. Army - against end of the Korean War. Since 1963, we have lived in various suburbs of Chicago, the last 25 years here in Barrington. This is in the near Palatine, where Weber-Stephen sits - from seen us from the next suburb before Chicago.

What exactly was your job at Weber?

At first I was in customer service, so as from 1987 I had to phone calls, questions and complaints answer (she laughs) - that was a terrible job. I have seven years taken. At that time my husband was working in the Development department at Weber and the required to cook and I love it - a subject and barbecue. So I started there grills and test equipment - but also barbecue recipes. The was exactly at the time when the Genesis line hit the market.

Why did you just do this work selected?

Well, who had a no grill tester that does not pure technician would have been - and I was just an ordinary consumer.

And how long were you in that position?

From 1994 until last year.

Was there an experience to which you are particularly like to reminisce, or something you particularly liked about your work at Weber?

Oh, I liked everything there. I loved my work easily. Whenever we have succeeded, a new grill to bring out that it still so not exist, that was a real highlight for me. And our grills are finally best ever.

Was there ever a product that at your test is completely flunked?

No, not really. Most products maybe have a little bit longer hand until everything was right. For example, we had to frequently models check even heat distribution, so that a point is not hotter than the other. But I can not remember that sometimes a product at the tests would be completely rattled. It could happen that the Marketing department later decided a particular product not yet offer.

What kind of grill you prefer personally - gas, coal or electric?

My favorite is the gas grill. Grilling with gas is simple, and it goes fast. And I see the end result actually no difference. But I still grill even with charcoal - if I have much time. I think that is ticking every man is a bit different and has his own preferences. And some simply do not have the opportunity to coal or gas. For this, there's then just the electrical Weber grills.

In Europe, the grilling is still rather "men's business" - who grills at your home?

Of course, I grill. Although my husband also a good cook is. That grilling more "guy thing", there is probably because women a bit afraid to open flame to grill. They are a bit uncertain
and do that too rarely.

What is your favorite dish from the grill? Can you give us perhaps the recipe describe?

Most of all I grill rack of lamb! Well, I'll spices such as rosemary or Herbes de Provence. I prefer rather simple spices. Another Favorite dish is pulled pork. And I also love salmon grill. The is very simple. I marinate it in little white wine and lemon juice and then grill him with skin down. When he's done, I raise the filet easy with the barbecue turner the skin. Done.

Weber is now also in Europe a the most successful barbecue brands. Meets that with pride?

Of course! Our son lived in Berlin and now teaches English in Barcelona, and when I'm in Germany or Spain to visit am, I am, there Weber grills to see. Our Quality is simply outstanding. Because we test everything and try again. No one makes it so intensely as we do. Those were always the words of our former chairman Jim Stephen.

What else is important for you in life? Do you have any hobbies?

Now this is a bit personal, but I garden very happy. I've vegetables and flowers. I also play tennis, but my shoulder was recently ignited. Also, I love to read - I already own over 150 cookbooks. Most of these are of course barbecue books.

Do you have a message to the Weber fans in Europe?

Yes! The people in Europe should the whole grilling year round. You always tend moreover, the only in the summer and special occasions such as garden parties to do. But I'm sure that the over the years, a little has changed. If my husband and I travel through Europe, falls us but always, that there is still much too few grills are on the balconies - there's a lot of potential. I grill in all four seasons. And in winter I just shovel the snow around the grill a little bit away.

Thank you, Mrs. Schlosser, for this conversation. We will get your message take to heart.

Edna is an amazing person. She was like an aunt/mother to me and I loved working with her. Very funny and down-to-earth. She had great analytical skills in assessing the cooking dynamics of any grill and was ready with a great many tips on cooking too. Many times if Erich wasn't around, she'd ask me to come in and chop the onions for her because her eyes would tear up.

And the lunches? We all ate like kings!

What a great article!

Back