Weber Gas Grill No-Conversion Policy 11/15/2011

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Here's an interesting little diddy I found via a Google search.

I don't know why Weber stopped offering gas grill conversion kits, but I assume it's related to liability issues. Here's the notice to dealers about the company policy and consequences if a dealer deviates from policy.

If your local dealer has no idea what you're talking about when you ask for gas conversion parts, now you know why. :)

weber-no-conversion-policy_zps8f7b0f07.jpg

Yeah another over kill on Weber's part IMO. Just about every quality maker allows and sells parts to do this efficiently and safely. If the kit is made properly there is no danger or liability. Heck an owner who takes good care of their grill is going to remove/reinstall or replace any or all of the parts associated with doing the conversion so why the big deal? IMO stupid on Weber's part

When I was going to convert my 1000 from LP to NG I called Weber to order a NG manifold. I was told they needed the serial number of the grill to make sure I was not trying to do a conversion and I was just doing a like for like replacement. I told them it was to faded to read it (which it was) so with that no serial number no sale.
I was able to get it from another source on the internet without any problems.

Recently I called Weber to buy a new igniter for the side burner on my E320 and they wanted the serial number for that too! Hung up and went to ereplacmentparts.com and got it there.

Every kitchen appliance manufacturer that I know of supplies a conversion kit with the product, or if not it can be ordered from them.
I think this decision by Weber goes beyond lawyer induced paranoia and is motivated by greed.

Chris hit the mark on this one. It's the gas jets that need to be a different size. Maybe they found issues with the valves and the burner tubes as well. But yeah.. afraid of liability.

Back