Pork Tenderloin Steaks

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
I did a write-up about this for The Virtual Weber Gas Grill and thought I'd post it here, too. You can get the full blog post by using the link.

Saw this technique for pork tenderloin steaks in Cook's Illustrated magazine and the family loved it. A nice twist on the usual tenderloin. The method results in almost 30% more surface area for searing and crustification!

hM0quba.jpg

Remove silverskin. Cut pork tenderloin in half.

NCeyO53.jpg

Cover with plastic and pound 3/4" thick using heavy drinking glass.

43x7fIN.jpg

Pounded tenderloin.

9LsbOcW.jpg

Profile view of pounded tenderloin

lA1PLWS.jpg

Use a sharp knife to cut a shallow cross-hatch pattern on both sides of each steak to promote a crusty surface. Sprinkle with favorite rub. I used SYD All-Purpose Rub.

M2PnAhP.jpg

Grill to about 140*F. Brush with favorite sauce right at the end. I used Kinder's Mild Sauce.

cRSYN2B.jpg

Nice and juicy, a little pink inside. Delish!

four hoof chikin :) Looks delicious. Just printed it out. I use my 3-quart Lodge fryer for flattening. One hit is all I need :).

Looks terrific, Chris, and this upcoming week the local grocery store chain has pork t-loins for 2.99/lb, so this cook's illustrated idea will definitely get some active research.
thanks for sharing

I cringed seeing you use a glass to flatten those. One crack in the glass could spell disaster. A heavy bottom sauce pot would work as well and be a LOT safer.

I cringed seeing you use a glass to flatten those. One crack in the glass could spell disaster. A heavy bottom sauce pot would work as well and be a LOT safer.
No worries. Super heavy restaurant-grade Libbey barware with thick sides and bottom. They're practically cast iron. Would not be recommended with a lesser glass. Thanks for looking out for me! :)

Chris, yours looks AWESOME!! ▼

cRSYN2B.jpg

I made this yesterday and it tasted FANTASTIC! Will Do AGAIN!
but yours looks sooo much better than mine did.

Thread bump, I had seen that technique and forgot about it until yesterday when I was thumbing through. I will be using the method tonight with some lovely pencil thin asparagus!
I used the Alton Brown flattening method, spray a little water on plastic wrap and whack it with a small cast iron skillet to proper thickness, easier on the wrist than the heavy glass.
The water provides a little lubrication so the plastic doesn't tear. It works much better than I could have imagined! Works well with chicken breasts too.
Nowhere near dinner time and I am really starting to get hungry!
I am all set for today's "Weberfication!"

Last edited:
Alton Brown used his spray bottle, if I had one set up I would have used it too. Didn't so, I just sprinkled some on the meat and the plastic, worked like a charm.

been using this method since i read this about 6 months ago. i use a rolling pin to flatten. i also use wax paper or plastic wrap. whatever i have on hand. tsk chris.

Looks great,I have a large hammer style with waffle on 1 side and flat on the other,a rolling pin works well if you are putting it in a bag,I use a 1 gal size most of the time

My go to for years was the Julia Child mallet....
Empty champagne bottle from the party before!
And I second the heavy ziploc bag!

I just grabbed a Pork Tenderloin on whim today. But, I am going for All You Can Eat Shrimp tonight, so it is looking like my dinner project for tomorrow.

Last edited:
Didn't realize this was an older thread, but I do remember an episode related to this project. Can't remember the silver skin part though.

No worries. Super heavy restaurant-grade Libbey barware with thick sides and bottom. They're practically cast iron. Would not be recommended with a lesser glass. Thanks for looking out for me! :)

And make sure the glass doesn't have any adult beverage in it also. :p

Back