Avoiding brush marks on the meats

Brian Silvey

TVWBB Member
I did a practice cook this weekend for Ribs and Chicken. I made a turn in box for each. I thought they came out ok, but each had brush marks from giving them a last brushing of sauce. I use one of the silicone brushes so as not to have any stray brush hairs in the box, but it seems you get these brush lines. What can I do to make it look smoother?

Hopefully this link will work.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAoM/e3oCi5MtDCA/w958-h719-no/ribsIMG269.jpg

Thanks,
BS

My guess would be your sauce is too thick. I use a silicon brush as well but thing my sauce with apple juice and I don't have lines on my ribs when I am done. I usually don't sauce until the last 15 to 30 minutes and then get a nice sheen to my ribs that way.

Brian... Heat your thinned sauce before applying. If thighs, many cooks submerge them in heated sauce to get that nice smooth finish...

Steve... will be doing some practice thighs tomorrow.
Experimenting with some of that blue squeeze bottle stuff and some other classified stuff ;)

Steve... will be doing some practice thighs tomorrow.
Experimenting with some of that blue squeeze bottle stuff and some other classified stuff ;)

For ribs only, Bob. The yellow tub that you cannot believe what it's not inside is used for chicken.

Steve... Thx
Guess I'm all set w/supplies for ribs then ;)
Time to hit store for those 'other' supplies...

At my last comp, I switched from a thicker homemade sauce to Sucklebusters Honey BBQ sauce. It is thinner and left no brush marks behind. It also got me a fifth place out of 103 teams. I used a silicone brush with the waffle grid inside.

Back