Throwdown #22: Tailgate Party

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Congratulations to Dwain Pannell for winning Throwdown #21: Sausages! Great photos of great-looking homemade Wisconsin-style bratwurst. I believe this is Dwain's third visit to the Throwdown Winner's Circle. He won Throwdown #17: Pork Tenderloin with a Pineapple Stuffed, Prosciutto Wrapped Pork Tenderloin "Wellington" and Throwdown #10: Mushrooms with a Mushroom Stuffed Pork Tenderloin. Looks like pork tenderloin is a big fav in the Pannell household!

As winner of the throwdown, Dwain has the privilege of selecting the next ingredient. But instead of an ingredient, Dwain has chosen a theme:

TAILGATE PARTY!

Inspired by the start of football season and with NASCAR in full swing, we want you to show us your favorite dish for a tailgate party. It can be anything--an appetizer, a main dish, a casserole, a side dish, a salad, a dessert, even a beverage--as long as grilling or smoking is involved in the preparation.

Let's run this throwdown until Sunday, September 7 at 11:59 PM Pacific Time.

Show us what you got! Good luck!

P.S. Remember, don't be intimidated! This isn't a barbecue competition, it's just for fun and friendship! Try it, you'll like it! And make sure to see the simple throwdown rules.

P.S.S. Remember, only 10 photos for each entry! Photo collages (multiple photos grouped into a single file) are OK, but each photo in the collage counts towards the 10 photo limit.

This should be a good one! I did my fair share of tailgating back in college at Ole Miss. I'll have to come up with something! Hotty Toddy!

Hi All,

I'd like to participate also in this throwdown but due to the fact that tailgate parties are strictly forbidden in Germany I need to ask some questions.

I found this funny HowTo: http://www.wikihow.com/Throw-a-Tailgate-Party

At first I'd like to know if I can prepare and cook the dishes on different days and post it than (of course only 10 pix) in the thread?
Second question is what is important? The whole scene (tailgate) means big car, canopy etc. or only the food?

Sorry for the maybe stupid questions but I have no experience with the stuff.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Jan

Last edited:
Hi All,

I'd like to participate also in this throwdown but due to the fact that tailgate parties are strictly forbidden in Germany I need to ask some questions.

I found this funny HowTo: http://www.wikihow.com/Throw-a-Tailgate-Party

At first I'd like to know if I can prepare and cook the dishes on different days and post it than (of course only 10 pix) in the thread?
Second question is what is important? The whole scene (tailgate) means big car, canopy etc. or only the food?

Sorry for the maybe stupid questions but I have no experience with the stuff.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Jan

You guys go on a 15 day bender at the end of September but aren't allowed to tailgate? ;)

Hey Peter,

I guess you mean the Oktoberfest in Munich.
Min. 16 days, sometimes up to 18 days. :)

But yes, you are right! We are unfortunately not allowed to make tgps.
I wager it has something to do with fire protection, and serving food to the public.
Would be nice to have similar stuff here!

The most popular sport in Germany is soccer.
Unfortunately there are always some stupid fans fighting against each other.
So we have no "together" more an "against".

Regards,
Jan

Is this for a single dish (just an appetizer or an entree, etc.) or can it be multiple dishes? The post says "show us your favorite dish" so I'm under the impression it's just a single entry, but I thought that a little clarification would be helpful. Thanks!

Is this for a single dish (just an appetizer or an entree, etc.) or can it be multiple dishes?
Please submit one dish per entry. You can submit multiple entries, if you like. So you can submit an appetizer in one entry and a side dish in a another entry and a main dish in yet another entry. Same as any other throwdown.

What is important? The whole scene (tailgate) means big car, canopy etc. or only the food
The food is most important. We're looking for dishes that people would take to and prepare at a tailgate. We don't expect people to be photographing the preparation of a dish at an actual tailgate with car, canopy, etc. although that would be fine.

This should be a good one! I did my fair share of tailgating back in college at Ole Miss. I'll have to come up with something! Hotty Toddy!

Does hanging out in the "grove" qualify as true tail-gating????;)............................d

Does hanging out in the "grove" qualify as true tail-gating????;)............................d

You don't need pick up trucks to tailgate! Please click here to learn about The Grove at Ole Miss!

"Sporting News has called it “The Holy Grail of Tailgating”

Sports Illustrated said it was "the number one tailgating" experience in college football."

Burnt Orange Nation says "The Grove" being the greatest tailgating experience on Earth are not only true, but probably grossly understated."

Hotty Toddy!

You don't need pick up trucks to tailgate! Please click here to learn about The Grove at Ole Miss!

"Sporting News has called it “The Holy Grail of Tailgating”

Sports Illustrated said it was "the number one tailgating" experience in college football."

Burnt Orange Nation says "The Grove" being the greatest tailgating experience on Earth are not only true, but probably grossly understated."

Hotty Toddy!

Does the name Ventress mean anything to 'ya? No need to explain anything about the grove to me.............d

My son is leaving for Ohio soon so we had a "Tailgate Party" for his going away. My entry for Throwdown #22 is Turkey Lollipops.

I brined turkey hens' legs for 12 hours per Meathead Goldwyn's Amazing Ribs Disney-Style Smoked Turkey Legs recipe. Then I took the brined legs and made Turkey Lollipops like Harry Soo does in his Medieval Bacon-Wrapped Turkey Lollipop (though I did not wrapped them in bacon nor did I remove the skin). After removing them from the brine, I let them sit in the fridge for a few hours to help dry the skin in an effort to help crisp it. I then dusted them with Cajun Shake and smoke-roasted the Turkey Lollipops indirect at 325*F over Coshell and Peach wood on the 22" WSM until 160*F internal which was a little over an hour. I knew I did not want to lay them on the cooking grate and I did not want the bones to turn black, so I wrapped the bone of each leg with foil and them wrapped three of the foiled legs together to "stack arms" three apiece. It worked like a charm.

In true tailgate style, I served them alongside plenty of other tailgate fare such as wings (which my son cooked on the Jumbo Joe), bacon wrapped tater tots, ABT(s), glazed meatballs (cooked on the 22" Kettle and 14.5" WSM), as well as SWMBO's queso dip and guacamole …and of course a cpl of homebrew beers and chips.

All in all I had all four of my Webers fired up for the party. My son's send off deserved nothing less.

Last edited:
Hi All,

as you can see I am from Germany. Tailgate partys are forbidden in Germany but we can make small street-partys. The kind of preparing and serving dishes appears to be similar in some cases.

So this is part one. My "Give-Away-Burger"
Intention: Keep it simple but delicious

The ground meat patties are made of 60% beef and 40% pork. A bit of "Magic Dust" gives the patties a special taste. You can prepare the patties the day before and store them in the fridge to the next day.
On the grill I like to brush the patties also with self made BBQ sauce. The sauce could also be prepared the day before.
The sauce on top of the nearly built burger is just simple ketchup mixed with mayonnaise. (I like the simple but good kind of sauce)
The cheese is a cheddar.
The cherry on top is the cross bacon :) and some fried onions.
Self made wedges are always a good choice for a side dish.
The salad and the tomato are fresh out of my garden.

So here are some pix.

Burger_thw_tailgate_01.JPG

Burger_thw_tailgate_02.JPG

Burger_thw_tailgate_03.JPG

Burger_thw_tailgate_04.JPG

Burger_thw_tailgate_05.JPG

Burger_thw_tailgate_06.JPG

Burger_thw_tailgate_07.JPG

Burger_thw_tailgate_08.JPG

Burger_thw_tailgate_09.JPG

Burger_thw_tailgate_10.JPG

So thanks for reading.

Regards,
Jan

Last edited:
Hi All,

tada ... here is part two.
"The main dish" (call it bacon-bomb)

The original recipe is from Taural Rhoden. I would call him an ambassador for original US BBQ here in Germany.

You can simply prepare the bacon bomb(s) the day before the party and store it in the fridge.
The ground meat (60/40) is also mixed with Magic Dust (exactly I like this rub :) )
You can fill it with peppers and/or other spicy stuff (jalapeños, habaneros etc.) and of course cheddar.
On the grill the meat is brushed (hopefully brushed is the right word) two times with self made BBQ sauce.

As you can see both of my dishes (burger and bacon bomb) are using a lot of the same ingredients. I chose both these dishes to keep the amount of work as low as possible without loosing quality.

Ok here are the pix.

tailgate_Bbome_01.JPG

tailgate_Bbome_02.JPG

tailgate_Bbome_03.JPG

tailgate_Bbome_04.JPG

tailgate_Bbome_05.JPG

tailgate_Bbome_06.JPG

tailgate_Bbome_07.JPG

tailgate_Bbome_08.JPG

tailgate_Bbome_09.JPG

tailgate_Bbome_10.JPG

Thanks for reading.

Regards,
Jan

Last edited:
The start of the season is a week away, figured I would start early. Plus it's a little to far to drive to Soldier Field during the season.
Point Beer, burgers, sausage, ABT's, Smoked bacon wrapped onion rings, grilled avocado and artichoke.

Back