Where do you buy your wood?

AllenV

So do any of you order wood chunks online for smoking? I see a couple of stores online selling wood but am wondering where most people get their wood for smoking.

I get Pecan from a buddy and Peach from my yard. Hickory, Oak, Apple, Cherry, etc I buy at Wally World or Blowes.

I used to by from mainegrillingwoods.com - their black cherry is to die for!. Great stuff. These days though, the local Southern States carries a wide selection of Weber fruit wood chunks, along with oak, pecan, etc.

I've got some from Wally World,I've got some from Academy Sports and my favorite is the freebies I've gotten from co-workers!

Most of my wood comes from a local firewood dealer. He sells cherry for people who like to use it in campfires :eek: as well as apple, hickory and oak. All is available in small quantities fro BBQers and it's cheaper than most sources.

Fortunate enough to get it all ( red and white oak, hickory, maple, pecan, apple, cherry) myself. Allen, contact some local tree (cutting) companies. They're always looking for ways to get rid of wood, and the small amounts we bbq-ers are after, you should be able to get it for a fraction of the cost compared to buying from a store. Also, become familiar with how the wood you desire looks like. If you drive by a house and see some wood on the ground, or see a person trimming trees in a yard, don't hesitate to stop by and ask for some branches. Again, free is for me, and a new friend might be made. Free wood is out there to be had, I just had to realize where to ask and look.
Good luck,
Tim

Thanks for the great replies and tips! We're in peach country here in the Upstate so lots of peach stuff everywhere. I do need to call around for sure!

thanks again!

I have a local firewood supplier that separates their wood by species. Their stock rotates based on whatever they happen to cut down or remove. Living in NoVA, they always have oak, maple, and (bradford) pear. They usually have hickory and cherry too.
Anyway, I have a firepit in my backyard and go camping 1-2X per year, so they are my "go to" for firewood.
I usually take 2-3 pieces of whatever firewood I select and pay a visit to my bandsaw to cut them into chunks.

Right now I have a good sized stash of cherry and hickory chunks. Hickory is always a favorite of mine. I never used cherry before until very recently. I find it a bit too mild for my taste. I'll probably go back to maple or oak as my 'mild' wood, especially since its goes so well with chicken- which I frequently smoke.

If there is a Sportsman's Warehouse near where you live, check out what types of wood they carry. You might be pleasantly surprised. I get just about all my wood from the one that is about an hour drive from where I live. They even carry Orange Wood Chunks.

I order the Weber chunks from Amazon. I'm sure there are cheaper places, but the selection is good, and I like the size of the chunks. Oh yeah, and if you are Prime they arrive in 2 days. :)

Back