Question about installing my new Summit grill

Bill Htsn

We just purchased a new Weber Summit built-in grill to install in an outdoor kitchen island. The island was built with the specifications of the grill in mind, but the contractor didn't leave any way to access the gas outlet/shut off valve, didn't install the regulator, and didn't leave any venting.

So...I'm trying to determine what I need to do in order to get it connected so that we can safely use the grill

I have a couple of pictures I'll post in a minute or two

Thanks!

nzKQJx.jpg

zB5vre.jpg

Get the contractor back! He did not do this to code. You need an access port for gas connection and shut off AND venting. Assuming this is natural gas there is no regulator needed as your house gas pressure should be correct for this.

Oh yeah - go to weber.com and entor your serial number in the support section and you can get the installation manual to see what needs to be where.

Get the contractor back! He did not do this to code. You need an access port for gas connection and shut off AND venting. Assuming this is natural gas there is no regulator needed as your house gas pressure should be correct for this.

The contractor didn't know what he was doing, but he's out of the picture.

But I do need to fix this mess so that we can use the grill. I just don't know where to start. Masonry, plumber, ?

You'll need a mason (with a cutter and some carpentry skills to build a door that will be recovered in stone or maybe SS?); a gas fitter should be able to do the hook up and hopefully vents (although the mason may have to do that. What a PITA. Sorry man.

You'll need a mason (with a cutter and some carpentry skills to build a door that will be recovered in stone or maybe SS?); a gas fitter should be able to do the hook up and hopefully vents (although the mason may have to do that. What a PITA. Sorry man.

So, have a plumber black pipe over to where it can be connected to the grill, and also put another shut off valve where it can be reached from behind?

And then cut out, say a 12"x12", space to access the shut off. And also a vent in the rear. Any suggestions as to size of the vent?

You can use black pipe or if your area allows it, yellow flex pipe is way easier to run. I assume it will come from the inside through the peninsula wall. I would then have a door at the rear of the grill (for appearances) where the shut off is reached. I cannot remember the specific AGA code, but I think the shutoff has to be within 3 feet. Edit: Weber says 58" to gas bulkhead). Would consider using flex pipe in case you ever have to pull the grill. Local codes etc.

As for venting, most mfgs. specify the venting required (although your local building code may also do this). For example Weber says 100 sq. inches for the 460/660. Here is one way to do vents http://www.go2marine.com/product/27122F/sea-dog-louvered-vents-stainless.html These would fit right into holes and match the grill. Cheap enough.

Also, as for height that is mfg. specified. for the 460/660 counter height is 36". Here's the full install http://c929377.r77.cf2.rackcdn.com/56584_US_080113.pdf Again your serial number will get you the specific install manual with all the details you need for a competent installer.

Tom,
All gas appliances need their own regulator at the device. The big regulator for the house brings down the pressure from the gas main but each appliance would still need their own. Every new gas range and cooktop come with a regulator.

My NG grills connect directly to the gas main in the house. I therefore presume there is a regulator at the BBQ and interpreted the OP's question as if there should be another regulator. I would assume that one came with the grill?

Actually no they don't. Some do and are made with it. But many gas grills today come with no regulator and are made to install using 7" WC pressure. The last NG Weber I installed was the same. No regulator

Back