Post Flare-Up Care?

Robert.K

Howdy, folks. New member, just bought a Genesis 330 last week, and have already had my first 'disaster'. I was slow roasting a pork shoulder (picnic), got up for a beer, and the next thing I know, there's smoke billowing out of the grill and the thermometer was around 600d give or take. Lesson learned: invest in a rotisserie, and have a cooler of ice with beer within arm's reach.

Suffice to say, there's a lot of caked on black stuff on the heat deflectors even after scrubbing with dish detergent, the inside of the lid is black, and there's some discoloration on the outside of the fire box from the smoke.

I'm just wondering if there's been any potential damage, if I should concern myself with a thorough cleaning to restore it to like-new appearance, or what. If I wanted to clean 'er like new, what would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Make sure the firebox has not burned through or warped. A lesson learned is you HAVE to clean that grease tray. I do it WAY more often than you think. Depending on use a much as once per week. This is a big weakness of the design of the grease removal system and those flavorizers. Because they reflect heat down into the cavity grease that collects there will ignite suddenly and fiercely. Now all grills will do this but the worst I've seen are the Weber and my Wolf. I have noticed with my Broilmaster you actually have to try to cause a problem. On the Wolf and Weber it'll sneak up and bite you in the ***

Will do.

What about the black caked-on crud on the heat deflectors? Anything to be done with those? What about cleaning the black soot off the inside of the lid and brown smoke remnants on the outside? Or is my OCD acting up and I'm over thinking this? :rolleyes:

Weber makes (or at least sells) cleaners for both the inside and outside. I hear pretty good things about them, but I don't have any personal experience.

Back