Secrets of BBQ Class

Wayne Ficklin

TVWBB Fan
I'm not exactly sure this has much to do with Competition BBQ, but I recently heard an ad on the radio for a "Secrets of BBQ" class held pretty close by, so I reserved a spot. Its free and four and a half hours, so that tempers my expectations ...but it fit nicely into my budget. Mostly, I'm excited so I felt like sharing.

The BBQ personality is Chris Marks, who apparently knows his stuff.

Apparently this is being held at a location that sells the pits he cooks with. I'm sure there'll be some salesmanship on display. I'm still hopeful it'll be worthwhile. I'll report back with details if I can remember them.

I'll try to fill in with some details tomorrow, but for a 4 hour class (there was a mixup on starting times, and what was reported wasn't what actually happened) I'd call it a success. Since this was a class in SC, he dealt strictly with pork.

Pork tenderloin
Stuffed pork loin
Pork Loin
Pulled Pork w/ Boston Butt
Baby Back ribs (dry & wet)
St. Louis Spare Ribs (I think they were just served wet).

He served everything, and while we ate, he showed us how it was prepped. (That was the usual order anyway.)

The kicker was that his ribs were cooked in 3 hours, unwrapped @ 250ºF. BB & SLS ribs. He put 'em on @ 7:30, and we were eating them @ 10:30. Stew on that for a bit. (They were exquisite by the way.)

Back