Cleaning Thermoset Tables

Erik H.

TVWBB Fan
I have a circa 2000-2001 Genesis Silver B that has served me well. Still original burners, over the years I replaced the flavorizer bars (now SS), cast iron grates (now porcelain covered CI), igniter, regulator and cover. It looks a lot better than most other 14 year old grills I see but it still could use a restoration. Last night the drip tray caught on fire so it's brough the situation to head on either a restoration or replacement.

My question is this -- the parts that really are looking bad are the thermoset tables and handle. I've never had any luck getting them clean. At this point I am thinking they are permanently stained, but I wanted to check if there is any magic way to get them clean. Considering how expensive they are to replace with new parts, has anyone developed an alternative that works? Structurally they are fine, but the stains are unsightly. Thanks!

Erik

has anyone developed an alternative that works?
Erik

Yup, every time and it's fool proof. I've restored a number of gassers & performers and the only method I've found that actually works to my standard is soaking. I have a huge plastic storage bin which I fill with soapy (Dawn) water and submerge the plastic from 4 hours to overnight. After the soak, grab your favorite scrubbie and the tables will come clean just like new.

I've tried a good number of spray-&-wipes and none of them hold a candle to the tried and true soaking method.

Last edited:
Yup, every time and it's fool proof. I've restored a number of gassers & performers and the only method I've found that actually works to my standard is soaking. I have a huge p[lastic storage bin which I fill with soapy (Dawn) water and submerge the plastic from 4 hours to overnight. After the soak, grab your favorite scrubbie and the tables will come clean just like new.

I've tried a good number of spray-&-wipes and none of them hold a candle to the tried and true soaking method.

Thanks for the tip Chad. I've got a few stains on mine and I'll give your technique a shot this weekend.

Back