products from rcplanebuyer

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Just got a set of grates delivered from rcplanebuyer (Ebay) Saturday. Anyone sitting on the fence to buy or not should go for it. Cannot say enough good about the great service and the quality of the product he delivers. Outstanding does not do it justice

Don't have any grates from him as of yet, but have bought 5 or 6 sets of flavorizer bars and they are wonderful. Got his direct email address and deal with him directly outside of Ebay now. Even better pricing and can really save on shipping when buying multiples as he will stuff as much as he can into a Priority Mail flat rate box and charge actual shipping.

I bought a set of grates from him a couple years ago for my Genesis C and they will outlast the grill itself!

IMG_4597.jpg

IMG_4598.jpg

I recently bought 3 of these for the Summit Gold D restoration I was doing. Incredible heft and build quality!

Oh sweet. I'm in the midst of restoring a Summit Gold D as well. Did you have to replace the flavorizers? If so, were you able to find anyone with a good price on them ? Man those things are expensive for a Summit.

If so, were you able to find anyone with a good price on them ? Man those things are expensive for a Summit.

Ha, yes they are. Now... When I picked this grill up from CL, I printed the Weber schematic & price list. A few months later when I went to order the parts, Weber had increased their prices. A lot. I went back to the web and looked at various retailers and found Grillparts.com had that part (9899) listed for $89.95 so I ordered it. Now, they sell it for $162.95

Why they sell it 'connected' together in the middle, I'll never know. If I had to order more today, I'd just order regular ol' 15-7/8" long single flavorizer bars and set them in there like normal. There's no reason to have them connected like they do.

Let me know if you have any other questions as I did a full restore of this grill so I'm very familiar with it. :)

Ha, yes they are. Now... When I picked this grill up from CL, I printed the Weber schematic & price list. A few months later when I went to order the parts, Weber had increased their prices. A lot. I went back to the web and looked at various retailers and found Grillparts.com had that part (9899) listed for $89.95 so I ordered it. Now, they sell it for $162.95

Why they sell it 'connected' together in the middle, I'll never know. If I had to order more today, I'd just order regular ol' 15-7/8" long single flavorizer bars and set them in there like normal. There's no reason to have them connected like they do.

Let me know if you have any other questions as I did a full restore of this grill so I'm very familiar with it. :)

I thought about ordering plain bars like you talked about, but I worried about them moving around as I don't think there are any notches in the firebox to hold them in place. I've replaced the 7 burner tubes so far. Had to drill out the screws holding in the manifold as they were rusted through. Replaced the thermo in the lid. One of the CS reps at Weber gave me a great price on the ignition kit, so I went ahead and bought it even though all I really needed were the 4 little metal spark boxes. Got a good price on a new smoker box so I picked it up as well.

The grates are pretty solid with minimal surface rust. Figuring on just wire wheeling them to see how they do. Then again, might just check with RC and get a price on replacing all 3 grates.

Only other thing I might look into getting is a new Rotisserie rod and forks.

Did you post a thread detailing your restore ? Or any before and after pics ?

Last edited:
Sadly, RCplanebuyer won't ship to Canada. :( I think I am going to get the local fabricator to make me some SS goodies.

It is the weight/volume issue. If I can't get them locally I will drop ship to Montana and make a drive down. SO much for NAFTA and Free Trade.

If you notice those bars cover the crossover burners that go down the center of the grill. If you don't cover them they'll corrode and clog badly

If you notice those bars cover the crossover burners that go down the center of the grill.

Man, do I feel like an idiot. Duh... :)

Dave - I took a few photos, but I haven't added them (to the thread from last fall when I got the grill) I also replaced the ignition kit & 7 burner tubes. Along with the thermometer, swinging warming basket, warming rack, cooking grates, flavorizer bars, infrared burner, bottom shelf, casters, gas line, right side table, control knobs, etc... :) Between scouring the internet including ebay, I've got about $660 into parts. But it's literally like new.

Photos to come, but I didn't take many of the process.

Now if you wanted to the burners from an old Summit 400 series are the same length and the crossovers are all the way in the back. The spacing between them is different so the newer c/over tubes need to be used but the position simply moves to the back of the grill. Than simply use the older style flavor bars.

I bought a set of his grates and bars for my Mom's silver B about 2 years ago. They are holding up very well, and my Mom's BF really likes them. So naturally when my own e-320 with the East - West burners needed a new set of grates I went on the hunt for some from RCplanebuyer.

Unfortunately I didn't see the exact model I needed listed in his e-bay auctions. So I tracked down his craigslist ad, which is how I bought his grates last time, and I asked him about grates for my specific grill. He said of course, no problem - and had me take a few measurements to verify we were on the same page.

Paypal invoice sent and a week later I had a sweet new set of grates.

Upon research a lot of the other makers are using hollow stainless steel tubing, where RCplanebuyer is using solid 9mm stainless steel rods. Very heavy duty.

photo-114.jpg

If u want the best available, talk to this guy.

Last edited:
The SS grates are a good deal, the flavorizer bars can be bought 14 bucks cheaper on Amazon from Rivers Edge, same SS gauge.

The flavorizer bars from Rivers edge might be the same gauge, but they are made of 430 stainless instead of the higher quality 304 that RCPlanebuyer uses.

The flavorizer bars from Rivers edge might be the same gauge, but they are made of 430 stainless instead of the higher quality 304 that RCPlanebuyer uses.
True, but if you buy 16 ga. those bars would most likely outlive your grill anyway.

Back