My Day at the County Fair

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
** WARNING: OLD FART MUSING AHEAD **

I've noticed there are things and events in my past that meant a lot to me when I was young, then lost significance as I got to be a teenager and a young adult, but are now becoming an important and enjoyable part of my life again as I move into my fifties. One of those things is the county fair.

I was born in Riverside, California but my family moved to Santa Rosa, California in 1968 to get away from the smog and congestion of Southern California. Most of my childhood that I can remember is in Santa Rosa. One event I remember vividly is the Sonoma County Fair, held each year over 16 days starting in late July and finishing in mid-August.

The Sonoma County Fair was a milestone event each summer. In the late 60's and early 70's, we didn't have the Great America amusement park down in Santa Clara and my family never got down to the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. So unless I was heading to my grandparents' house for summer vacation and getting a trip to Disneyland out of the deal, this was my one chance each year to ride the exciting and sketchy carnival rides. We'd pick a day and go to the fair, get a corn dog, play rigged carnival games, ride the scary double ferris wheel, and see mom's favorite--the Hall of Flowers.

I remember one year being completely fixated on winning a stretched Coke bottle at one of the carnival games. They were filled with colored water, shining brightly in the sun like colorful jewels, packed together in an impossibly tight arrangement. You had to throw a ring over one to win. I eventually won a bottle, but probably spent $5 in quarters in the process. It was my prized possession for about two weeks. Now as an adult, I imagine a carnie out back using a blowtorch to stretch 10 cent deposit Coke bottles into valuable $5 prizes. What a great racket.

The other county fair memory I will never forget is riding the haunted house ride. It was one of those dark rides where a car is pulled along on a chain and you pass various scary scenes. As the car exited the haunted house, there was a guy in costume who jumped out and scared the crap out of you. I was so scared that I screamed and reared back and actually kicked him in the chest! We got off the ride and I was crying and I remember my dad talking to the ride operator about whether the scary ending was appropriate for little kids. Good times, good times.

As I got into my teenage years, I stopped going to the fair. I don't know if I lost interest or if it just wasn't the cool thing to do anymore. Strangely enough, when I was 18-20 years old, I ended up having a job at the county fair each summer selling stuff in the exhibition hall. But that was a job I had to do and although the fair was a diversion, I don't remember being all that interested in it.

Once I left that job, I didn't attend the county fair for about 20 years. College, career, travelling the world, getting married. A lot going on, but no fair.

About 10 years ago, I reconnected with the Sonoma County Fair and all it has to offer. It's become a bi-annual event to make the two-hour drive from San Jose to Santa Rosa to visit the fair. Our sad little fair here in Santa Clara County is no match for the awesomeness of the Sonoma County Fair, with its strong ties to agriculture in the area. The Alameda County Fair is closer and is a good fair, too, but not as good as my childhood fair, at least in my book.

Yesterday, I spent the day there with my wife Julie and we did just about everything except ride the rides and play the carnival games. Here are some photos of what we saw. I hope you enjoy them.

Get out to your county fair, if not this summer then next. I think you'll have a good time!

iWEVI7f.jpg

The fair has a theme each year. For 2014, it's "Peace, Love & Fair". The perfect theme for all the old hippies still alive and well in Sonoma County.

WHX9KCm.jpg

First stop is a photo of Big Bubba's Bad BBQ. Like I always say, at least the guy is being honest about his barbecue. It's probably not that good.

JBLKYoP.jpg

Boneless chicken on the grill at Big Bubba's Bad BBQ.

A4YEH7I.jpg

Big Bubba's Bad BBQ has some big sausages, too.

8Yej5Dq.jpg

The obligatory stop at the corn dog stand. Satisfying corn dog cravings since 1968.

IGxLBA8.jpg

Clover is an iconic local dairy brand in Sonoma County. They've been giving away free ice cream cones at the fair for years. The lines around their booth are long, the cones are small, but it's worth it for free ice cream!

8aqrOk5.jpg

Like I said, the cones are small, but you can ask for two and come back later for seconds!

bXk2LIU.jpg

You may even get a photo op with Clo the Cow, the Clover dairy mascot. I notice we share the same physique.

xQSHuJA.jpg

There are lots of ranchers at the Sonoma County Fair. Perfect place to sell tractors. You can drive this beauty home today for just $20,930!

7yqiXcv.jpg

I liked this cool old farm truck and its shiny red paint job.

GGIaw0b.jpg

Close-up of the truck's door. From a bygone era when Petaluma, California was The Egg Basket of the World.

e03PZxI.jpg

Future baby back ribs marinating in wood shavings.

jaHqlhQ.jpg

Almost baby back ribs.

p8aDEQZ.jpg

Question...

A0mtkON.jpg

Answer...

DV8p98n.jpg

Cute little miniature horse. Every kid wants to take this home!

ZLAO4oI.jpg

I made a new friend named Sweet Lil. You could try your hand at milking the back end of this plastic cow, but I graciously declined. We'd barely met!

KNSytaX.jpg

Lots of Angus cattle in the cow barn.

iyBLIRb.jpg

Future brisket.

6YTeuju.jpg

A 4-Her's display sign over some Angus cattle, including a cuts of meat chart.

4O0zWC2.jpg

Don't look up, Mr. Steer. Your fate is already sealed.

CuRknmk.jpg

This bull was fully intact and proudly displaying his hardware, not shown in this G-rated photo. Getting cleaned up and ready for judging and then auction.

P6uuLXv.jpg

Over to the 4-H pig judging. Lots of great kids moving pigs around while the judge watched.

BBw4UDy.jpg

Let's see you maneuver a pig into this small pen after judging!

toYG1pQ.jpg

It was a warm day and interesting to watch people spritzing the pigs with water to keep them cool. They were using some of the same spritzers that people use in barbecue competitions. Made me feel kind of weird knowing that.

TsF0ScR.jpg

A pig hiding in a plastic bowl. Privacy, please. No photos!

fwS3BFN.jpg

I see a guy sitting behind me wearing a Wine Country Big Q shirt, an event I judged just two weeks earlier in Rohnert Park. I say, "Did you enjoy the event this year?" and he says, "I own the event." A long barbecue conversation ensues with Wine Country Big Q event coordinators Judy Groverman Walker and Drew Dominguez. Judy's daughter and son were both showing pigs as we looked on.

6XKse5G.jpg

This cow was having none of it. She needed some persuasion to get moving for the judge.

XKRpiOO.jpg

Just hanging around at the county fair.

fH5TwFX.jpg

Horse racing is a big part of the Sonoma County Fair. Shown here: It's a win for Left-Handed Brisket, place for Charcoal Charlie, and show for Burnt Ends.

akeut6b.jpg

Time for more nourishment. Pasta King Art Ibleto's Spaghetti Palace has been fundraising for worthy causes at the fair and throughout Sonoma County for longer than anyone can remember.

VmtdGar.jpg

The small plate costs $7 and feeds two. Meatballs are extra. Deep, rich sauce, very flavorful. Not what you think of as fair food, but it's real food and real delicious and all for a good cause.

tB7PMt7.jpg

How about taking a pie home as you leave the fair? Why wait, just grab a fork and napkin and dig-in right now!

Vw7wRxd.jpg

Big metal letters spell out part of the fair theme at the entrance to the carnival area.

agQC1aL.jpg

Looking down the carnival midway...a mass of humanity.

MPGf8xt.jpg

All that spaghetti has given us the energy to explore the adult fine arts and crafts exhibits. First up...more pie!

TpxUbHN.jpg

I always think of my grandma when I see beautiful quilts like these. Who quilts anymore? Ladies in Sonoma County, that's who!

QxcZsfK.jpg

Another example of beautiful quilting.

cnAX1xv.jpg

Best of Show honey. Someone must bee very proud!

ZbD4krJ.jpg

Canned fruits galore.

vxlUvGD.jpg

Beautiful jar of pickled veggies. Love that color!

r1T4Y7n.jpg

Best of Show basket of Sonoma County vegetables. Truly the bounty of the county!

DjtbGMz.jpg

The heaviest potato at the fair. 0.643 pounds doesn't seem that heavy to me, but it took 1st place.

rlfBv2u.jpg

Liked this patriotic display made from aluminum baseball bats cut in half and painted to look like an American flag.

1fclR4P.jpg

Cut flowers judged and on display. You want to see these early in the fair's run. Trust me, they won't look this good on Day 16.

9ONcHBH.jpg

Someone displayed their matchbook collection. It didn't win an award, but it was interesting to see so many matchbooks in one place. You just don't see them much anymore.

adzpwjD.jpg

Someone got fleeced. Even wool gets judged at the county fair.

SXPR9v6.jpg

Here's where the youngsters get involved. Electrical wiring gets judged...an electrifying display!

VCNzxTY.jpg

Now for the barbecue portion of our show...a vertical smoker with firebox on the backside. A 1st place metalworking entry from an 18 year old student. Spent some time talking with an onlooker about how this design might or might not work well. Regardless, nice craftsmanship!

9E8IBkY.jpg

There's always an ambitious kid that submits a Santa Maria style grill trailer. This is your Best of Show large scale metal project for 2014.

raNDkwr.jpg

Here is the Hall of Flowers. As a kid, I went to the fair for the rides and the games, but today as a adult I have a better appreciation for things like flowers and plants and the effort that goes into these displays. Some very creative designs by local landscapers based on this year's fair theme, "Peace, Love & Fair".

smjR5bq.jpg

Far-out Volkswagen bug, man! This contraption was built by Drew Dominguez, the guy I mentioned earlier from the Wine Country Big Q. He helps organize the fair's flower show.

IHvShPF.jpg

OK, it's time to leave the fair. Passing by those corn dogs again. I think I could eat just one more...no, I'm done for this year.

Thanks, Sonoma County Fair. We'll see you next time!

Regretting that 10 pic per post limit eh Chris? :p
A wonderful tour, almost like being there, almost.
Looks more like a State Fair than a County Fair.

Reminds me of our Fall Festival carnival while growing up in a small town here in Missouri.
I can close my eyes and smell the corn dogs, cotton candy, and the livestock area. :rolleyes:
Riding the Rock-O-Plane was a big achievement for me way back then.

Thanks for sharing a bit of your life, and some great photos!

Awesome pics Chris!!! I was in 4H as a kid and showed pigs mostly and a chicken or steer here and there. Have a lot of great memories. Michigan has a bunch of fairs during the summer but most of them were small. Our county fair was the first fair during the summer and then there was a fair going on every week the whole summer long within a 50mile radius of where we lived. Best show at the fair were the tractor pulls, don't see them out here though. When I go see my Dad in the summer I try to fit one in before we leave.

Amazing photos Chris! Let's hit the state fair before it closes
The California State Fair was already held earlier in July. Funny, I went to college in Sacratomato and lived there about 5 years and never went to the State Fair. That was during my "no fair" years. :(

You know where I'd really like to go...the Texas State Fair or the Iowa State Fair or something crazy like that. :)

Chris, Thanks for the tour it was great, brought back memories of the Orange County Fair in Costa Mesa that I as a youngster went to and later my kids then grand kids.

Right on Chris!
I went to Ogle (IL) county fair last weekend with my daughters. About an hour and half west of our Chicago western suburb area. Enjoyed the livestock barns and sitting in on a few livestock auctions. And then had a lot of fun at the demolition derby. They had a rodeo the night before which we couldn't make, but we enjoyed seeing things we don't get to see in our urban area. It was a fun and easy day out!

Very nice photos and memories. I didn't realize the Sonoma County fair had so many more livestock. I went to the Alameda County fair, which runs before yours, and loved it. We had a jumbo corn dog which was about as long as my forearm. Took three of us to finish it. Loved the sweet corn batter. It was a hot day and we moved faster between shady spots at the fair. The little Alaskan pig races and the extensive model train arena were my favorite parts but learning about solar energy and trying to drive these solar cars was way harder than I could imagine. The day ended watching an elderly Eddie Money perform before a "sold-out" crowd. My brother had to step away, as he didn't want this elderly version of Money to be the last image he remembers of the man from our childhood. The only regret I had was that there didn't seem to be enough livestock. Plenty of goats and rabbits, but only a few cows and horses but not much else. Will have to put your fair on my to-do list. BTW, also went to fair in Longview, WA which had a decent livestock display for sure.

Back