genesis restoration help!

MichaelLee

i bought a grill off of craigslist for $40 + a cover. i think its a weber genesis silver b (???)

took apart the entire thing and scrubbed it, sanded, painted, re-ordered parts
i'm now putting it back together and running into a problem

it appears that the burners don't reach all the way to the end like it shows in the manual (i measured it and it is 28" just like it says it should be in the manual):
IMG_20140727_165511855_zps4f0cdabc.jpg

when i bought the grill, the burner ends were being held up by a thin metal (SS?) wire that was rusted and fell apart when i took it out.

i'm pretty sure the burner connection to the propane tank is setup correctly since it fits so nicely:
IMG_20140727_165506339_zps26ae5bd9.jpg

IMG_20140727_165524659_zps98f5637b.jpg

what am i doing wrong here? am i missing a part? help!!!

Not sure where you bought your parts, but if you look at ereplacement parts.com they show detailed parts breakdown diagrams for these grills.
Looking at that might help. Good luck, and welcome to TVWBB.

How many flavorizer bars does it have 5 or 13? if it's 13 it's a 1000 series if 5 it's a B. If I'm not mistaken they take different burners the 1000 being a little longer.

You bought burners for a Silver A 2 burner model. You need 3 burners. If you have a shallow firebox than the burners are different length than for the deep fire box (13 bar model)

perfect. thanks for your help everyone!!! i thought i had a silver B model, but its the 1000.

i think my total bill for restoration and the grill (w/ a cover!) will end up costing me ~$200-250 since i've had to replace almost everything and then buy paint, wood, stain, etc.
still $100 cheaper than new (and i think this will last longer) and a fun project!

perfect. thanks for your help everyone!!! i thought i had a silver B model, but its the 1000.

i think my total bill for restoration and the grill (w/ a cover!) will end up costing me ~$200-250 since i've had to replace almost everything and then buy paint, wood, stain, etc.
still $100 cheaper than new (and i think this will last longer) and a fun project!

That's about in the ballpark of what I shoot for on a 3 burner. BTW, as good as they look, you can probably sell the other set of burner tubes and bring your final cost down a bit :D

Back