The Beach and BBQ.... what could be better ?

Bob Bass

TVWBB Gold Member
The weekend of August 8th, 9th and 10th, the Annual Ribs, Pigs and Watermelon / Beer Festival and Pro BBQ Competition is being held at Huntington Beach (State Beach side).

There is also a Facebook presence.

A great way to spend a hot Southern California day or weekend. A Pro BBQ Competition (both Saturday AND Sunday), a Kid's Que Competition, a Rib Eating Competition, a Watermelon Eating Competition, a Beer Festival, together with a healthy dose of Sand and Surf.

Last edited:
Grrrrr, One reason I miss living in Cali. Doing Comps in the Midwest with 90degree weather and 95% humidity is brutal.

Hi Chuck...
Appreciate the thoughts ! Tent duties (judging) ;)
Only cook I'll be doing will be next year for my masters.
We, Maryann and I, will form a one-time team. Possibly for the Pechanga event.

I'll be in the tent on Day 2 (Sun.). Wished I was competing, but could not find the time for a double contest after 3 weeks of paid vacation. Perhaps, next year I'll push my vacay back a couple of weeks to coincide with this event. Good luck to all the teams competing!

On Saturday at Oaktown Throwdown I was talking to Kathleen McIntosh and she told me about this challenging back-to-back contest. I'd never heard of it before. Whose sick, twisted mind came up with the idea of forcing you guys and gals to cook two days in a row? Seems downright cruel and unusual. :D Then she said there had been a 3-day contest at some point in the past? :confused:

Three days at Stagecoach Music Festival Championsips
We even had two contests in one day
IBCA/KCBS won by Vince on WSMs
It's kinder and gentler these days
:0)

The AR Invitational & Open are back-to-back comps, so if you wanna party with the big boys ya gotta be ready!

I wish I was closer! bunch of great people here - I'm reminded almost daily that it's not just a hangout for me, but there are some real pros here.

Hi Chuck...
Appreciate the thoughts ! Tent duties (judging) ;)
Only cook I'll be doing will be next year for my masters.
We, Maryann and I, will form a one-time team. Possibly for the Pechanga event.

Let me know if u need some help with that (team) when the time comes. I would love to help u out Bob.
Anyways , see you in the tent Saturday =)

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the offer ! Will keep you updated as time progresses.
See you tomorrow ;)

Bob

There is a admission ? So nice to be a judge and not have to pay for any of that....=)
Anyways, Dana Point BBQ championship is coming up and there is NO admission and free parking for everyone .

Peter

Peter...

But... does Dana Point have shuttles ;)
Great spending time with you under the 'big top' yesterday.

Two perfect scores (180) on Day 1 along with a team earning their 700 Pin.
Congratulations to the Grand Champion, Porterhouse BBQ, on both a perfect 180 in Chicken AND the 700 Pin !

The other perfect score (180) was earned in the Kids Que by team Jerry's Daughter !!!
Congratulations to Jerry's Daughter, as in Jerry A's daughter !

And congratulations to Big Poppa Smokers on their RGC and to all that walked.
A fun Day 1 with some great BBQ.

Back