Vista BBQ Classic

Greg B.

TVWBB Pro
Hi everyone!
I had the opportunity to attend the Vista BBQ Classic a KCBS sanctioned event yesterday (July 26th)here in San Diego. I really regret not taking more pictures,but would love to share some of the pictures I have with you.
I'm not much of a story teller but I'll do the best I can.
The event was held at Historic Downtown Vista. They literally shut down a mile square of city streets to hold the event. It was like a little town of BBQ pitmasters,beer garden and live music. The smell of smoke and aroma of the food was sensational!
It was a nice sunny day in the high 70's and low 80's. There was a little wind which I thought might of been a factor in the cook.

Upon entering I found a booth that sold BBQ sampling tickets

At the Pechanga comp the tickets were raffle tickets but at Vista they were chips

After the final turn in I got to hang out with Jerry A and wife Lupita of Burnin and Lootin.He was located next to the big music stage. So instead of listening to the Tri Tip guy this time they got to listen to some music!

When the judges were released got to hook up with Bob Bass and wife Maryann. From the left Lupita,Jerry A,Maryann and Bob Bass

After the above photo was taken, Bob and Maryann took me around the circuit and introduced me to everyone! He knows everybody! One of our stops was at Steve A's Vicious Smoke.From the left Steve A,me and Bob. Theres something about this picture I'll let you figure out!

Before I left, Jerry A's wife made me a packet of food to take home. When I got home I opened the packet and my jaw dropped to the ground and was shouting in joy!The packet had everything in it ribs,chicken,pork and brisket all nicely organized! You can tell it came from a pitmaster!

I tried to recreate the packet on the plate to get a better picture. The food was out of this world delicious! Thanks Jerry A and Lupita!

I did not stay for the results so I hope Bob Bass or the pitmasters will add to this thread.

Thanks for looking! :wsm:

Hi Greg.

Great spending some quality BBQ time with you on Saturday !
Nothing better than BBQ with Friends and Family.

I too didn't stay, but afterwards, wish I had.
Sylvie from Lady of Q won the Grand Champion. She most certainly showed the boys how to cook Excellent BBQ !!!
Jerry A and Lupi, from Burnin and Lootin, walked with 4th place finish overall while placing 4rd in Chicken, 4th in Pork Ribs and 8th in Pork !
Steve A, from Vicious Smoke, walked with an 8th place finish overall and a 3rd in Chicken !
A Great showing by all, especially considering there was 70 teams at this competition !

You mentioned the size of this contest the size of this competition. Like you said, they shut down all vehicular traffic in the city's core. Here's a map of this competition...

Next is Huntington Beach on August 9th & 10th, followed by Mission Beach on September 27nd and Dana Point on October 4th.

Last edited:
I'll be judging RPW on Day 2 and hopefully judging Mission Beach too (last I checked I was 19th on the list...bumped from 5th initially!). I'm skipping Dana Point. There's a little contest out in KC that weekend.

Steve...

Congratulations on the Walk, at Vista !

Totally understand missing Dana Point. Once in a lifetime event cooking at The American Royal !!! A Big Congratulations on that, Steve !

We'll miss you at RPW by a day but could see you at Mission Beach. Hopefully some of the San Diego area TVWBB members will stop by.

Thanks for the write up Greg! Glad you enjoyed the food..

Very nice weekend, as always Vista was a great event! Congrats to all that walked!

Jerry...

Congratulations on your Walks at Vista. Great Job !
Vista always seems to be one of those very enjoyable events.
Seeing Greg put it over the top.

Great job, everyone! And thanks for the photos, Greg! I appreciate seeing the venue. Looks like a great contest, maybe I can judge next year. :)

Best,
Chris

Sorry guys I haven't followed up on this thread. My computer crapped out and I'm getting a crash course on windows 8! I really want to thank you guys for letting me hangout at the comp! I really love the positive atmosphere and real nice people. Even though I'm not cooking I'm actually learning from tasting and looking! Will be attending comps as much as I can!

Back