The bottom vents

A J Grant

Am I being thick, or does 80-90% of the travel on the right hand side of the lower vents make no difference? It is only once you get tot he leftmost two "dots" that the blades start to cover the vents?

I've seen people talking about putting the lever half-way across, or 2/3 etc. Surely none of that makes any difference?

it's a method of controlling heat. Close the vents, decrease the air, reduce the heat. Open the vents, increase the air, increase the heat.

Yeah, I get that - but what I'm saying is that for 90% of the movement of the lever, it's not doing anything, and the vents are fully open. It's only in the left inch or two that it starts to cover the vents with the blades. Or am I missing something?

AJ, I wondered the same thing at first, but then I realized that the rest of the blade movement helps sweep out the ash build up.

Ah right, so the "extra" 90% is purely for cleaning.

Just makes me wonder why people do marks like this, when as far as I can see anything past the second hole is fully open:

weber_calibration.jpg

You're right. Put a mark on the ring at the points where the vents are 25%, 50% and 100% open so you'll know. Use in conjunction with adjusting the top vent. They are all a bit different depending on how the kettle stands

I assume you have a OTG? If so take a sharpie and mark the location of the handle while you look inside to see where 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 come in to play.

Tim

Edit: Never mind Dave got's you covered

Just makes me wonder why people do marks like this, when as far as I can see anything past the second hole is fully open:

weber_calibration.jpg
My ,marks are almost identical to this.

1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 are close together and full open is a bit away, if you observe the damper blades while moving the handle.
Marking the ash ring like this is indispensable, IMO.....I use it all the time.

weber_calibration.jpg

AJ
The good thing is you bought a Gold kettle if you had the silver model you would not have much to write on to make a guide.... That is a great grill.

The old style 3 wheel vents on the bottom offered more control. I would not miss the cleaning function for the control
offered by the old style kettles.

Back