Bad problem with new Summit e-470

Gary S Smith

TVWBB Fan
I just bought a new Black summit to replace my two 15 year old Platinum series grills. I was in hog heaven with the big new beast. I was surprised at how much bigger it looked than the old grills.
Then I cooked on it and as I expected there will be some relearning to produce the same quality food as the old ones ( I expected this).

The second day I went to clean it after the chicken thigh cook------That is when I saw it, the right door had a small defect in the trim. After cursing I called Weber who then with no problem sent me a replacement door.

That is when the problem was found. I was looking at the install and noticed that the door on the left was about 3/8th inch higher than the right door. All I can find is a method to align the doors by shifting left to right. This only will make them hang with the gap between them equal from top to bottom. Worry Worry Worry Look look then I see it the left door is not closing properly it is about 1/2 inch from closing at the top.
Now what to do. I don't think that the door on the left is bent, nor is it or the right door installed wrong. My initial thoughts are that the frame is not straight. Oh yes the grill is installed on a brand new grill ares. It was professionally built and is exactly level (I checked it last night).

So do you guys think it could be fixed or should I just return it to the store and get another from there or somewhere else?

Help calm me down or I may do something stupid.

Every Weber I've seen (Summit, Genesis) has a little alignment defect in the doors. I think you're a little over picky though without a photo it's hard for me to make that call.

Gary, did you buy it already assembled? I bought a new Genesis which I assembled myself and I seem to recall and adjustment for that. You might give Weber another call and be prepared to send them pictures. They're usually very helpful. Good luck.

Thanks Pete,

I have called weber numerous times and they seem to think from one of the pictures of the back panel that the slight bend at the area of the right rear caster is the problem. they are sending me 2 doors, back panel, and two sets of hardware to assemble the stuff.

Yes it was assembled and I got no asembly instructions. That was the first call to weber who sent me that stuff. There is an adjustment for the doors, but it is only to adjust from side to side. and not up and down. Also the upper pivot pin is not adjustable in any direction..
Waiting for the back panel(which was on backorder till today) have all the rest of the stuff. Will start when it comes.
I was going to get mad about the backorder till she said backorder but will be in friday and will be sent that day

Just waiting

Well now I know the grill comes from Weber assembled except for a few things non of which would affect the position of the doors. Weber has sent me both doors and a back panel, which I have installed and the doors are no better.
Thursday night I takled with a supervisor at Weber who spent at least 30 min with me (me measuring, taking and sending fotos) and he thinks as I do WE donot know what is bent. Weber will not replace the grill, just send parts.
Monday he (weber rep) will decide if he can send someone to look at the grill and possibly figure what is wrong.

I did go to homedepot and lowes and measured the fit of the doors on all the genesis and summits each store had. All of them were almost perfect. SO

Friday I sent email to manager of the store that sold me the grill, asking if they could come look and fix the grill.
and then said if Weber and the store could not rectify the door problem then I would be returning the grill.

So far I have heard nothing from the store.

Back