HeaterMeter Hardware v4.2.4

Bryan Mayland

TVWBB Hall of Fame
A year after the release of hardware v4.1, the HeaterMeter team (me!) is proud to announce the release of hardware version 4.2. v4.2 builds on the successful v4.1 platform and offers several improvements.

• Integrated low-pass filters on all probe inputs for unparalleled temperature reporting accuracy.
  • Thermocouple pit probe support - For those willing to try their hand at surface-mount soldering, the pit probe can be hardware configured to use a thermocouple. Thermocouples can survive higher temperatures (some over 1000C), react faster to temperature changes, can be cheaper, and are available in a variety of configurations. Any K-type thermocouple is supported.
  • Reorganized board significantly reduces electrical noise over v4.1 and eliminates the need for "white wire" fixes and other board modifications to achieve acceptable probe performance. Completely eliminates the issue where HeaterMeter would enter lid detect mode within a few seconds of the blower turning on.
  • RF input has been removed from the main board. For lmremote or IT+ reception, a secondary rfaddon board must also be built.
  • Servo pulse voltage now boosted to ~4.7V (was 3.3V) which may improve drive over longer cables.
  • TruVolt(tm) blower output - Integrated step-down voltage converter produces smooth voltage output for driving the blower 5V-12V rather than PWM. This provides more precise control of air flow, especially at lower output percentages.

• More compact overall design. Thinner than a cup of coffee! Wait, that's not a good comparison, but the encased v4.2 is only 29mm thick.

• Everything you do will be faster and more fun.

Information is on the wiki and everything is available on github. The OSH Park Store will be offering single v4.2.4 PCBs within the week (although they won't be in stock for about 10 days). Some of the features of the new hardware require require the latest AVR firmware 20140630B which works best with LinkMeter firmware v11.
HeaterMeter v4.2 Hardware
HeaterMeter v4.2 Assembly
HeaterMeter v4.2 LCD Preparation
Thermocouple Amplifier Testing

Thanks to all the hardware testers and 3d modelers for providing feedback, testing, and 4.2 cases which will be published soon: Ralph Trimble, Tom Kole, John Bostwick, and Matt Miller.

I also have small quantities of PCBs with the thermocouple components pre-soldered and tested available on in the HeaterMeter store for $44. A full kit of the HeaterMeter hardware is also available. I've gotten permission from the moderators to post a link to it here, thanks Chris!

Last edited:
All the mouser links default to the German mouser site. de.mouser.com but maybe its just me can anyone verify that?

Last edited:
All the mouser links default to the German mouser site. de.mouser.com but maybe its just me can anyone verify that?
It's just you. If you've gone to de.mouser.com (such as from a part link on one of the threads here), mouser will redirect you to de.* always. You need to click the German flag on the top right of the page then select U.S. again.

It's just you. If you've gone to de.mouser.com (such as from a part link on one of the threads here), mouser will redirect you to de.* always. You need to click the German flag on the top right of the page then select U.S. again.

Thanks Bryan, That was the first time I have ever been owned by a cookie.

Awesome, glad the release day for the HMv4.2 is finally here...
Here is a pic of my HMv4.2.4 in my prototype sliding back case:
HMv4.2.3CaseBic.jpg

Last edited:
You aren't the only one, I had to also ask too a few weeks ago. I even tried deleting my cookies

Glad to see 4.2 is officially out in the wild, it's by far the best heatermeter build. Those who make it will love it. And those who make the thermocouple connections will have a few curse words, but good magnification and a helping hand, and lots of Flux, and desolder braid will help with the #$@&()#@#(( @($#@ ) ($#@(.......

I'm also doing a trial run of producing 30x HeaterMeter PCBs with the thermocouple amps pre-installed so no surface mount soldering is necessary. The boards should be back from the fab and shipped to me later this week. Cost shipped in padded envelope with USPS tracking is probably going to be in the $40-50 ballpark.

Last edited:
I'm also doing a trial run of producing 30x HeaterMeter PCBs with the thermocouple amps pre-installed so no surface mount soldering is necessary. The boards should be back from the fab and shipped to me later this week. Cost shipped in padded envelope with USPS tracking is probably going to be in the $40-50 ballpark.

Is that per board to have the smd components already installed?

Yah, I am also curious. Are you having a board manufacturing house do the SMD solder work for you? And is that price for the board with the SMD parts only?

The PCB, all the surface mount components, and the PCC-SMP-K connector (not installed). 9 parts and the PCB. I looked at it getting done at a manufacturing house but they want do full panels which is roughly 12 boards. For just doing 3 panels at a time it wasn't economical with the setup fee and shipping both ways for the boards and parts. If it is really popular, I may consider getting it done externally but for now I'll be doing and testing them by hand.

I also might consider doing an all-SMD version of the board and getting them fabbed. However, the upfront cost would easily be thousands of dollars for even doing 48 boards at a time so that's not something I'm too enthused about doing. I'd also need a reliable way to test all the functions of each board without any of the through hole parts installed, which is it's own challenge.

Sounds like if could get a few people once a weekend or so to solder up the smd parts on boards from osh and then send them out to whomever order a board, would be cheaper then getting them done through a fabricator. I could probably do quite a few in a weekend.

I wouldn't go the full pre-built SMD route, that'll end up to be pretty much like a commercial product, complete with the thousands of dollars overhead and all that. That is, unless you want to take the HM in a more commercial direction. As it is, the HM is plenty small right now with mostly through hole components, and the SMD work is only required if you want to go the thermocouple route, so it's still a nice do-able DIY project. I'm sure plenty of people that want the thermocouple will figure out how to do the SMD soldering (like I did, for the first time on this project), if not they can get a pre-SMD'd board from you or a forum member that is willing to help out.

I wouldn't go the full pre-built SMD route, that'll end up to be pretty much like a commercial product, complete with the thousands of dollars overhead and all that. That is, unless you want to take the HM in a more commercial direction. As it is, the HM is plenty small right now with mostly through hole components, and the SMD work is only required if you want to go the thermocouple route, so it's still a nice do-able DIY project. I'm sure plenty of people that want the thermocouple will figure out how to do the SMD soldering (like I did, for the first time on this project), if not they can get a pre-SMD'd board from you or a forum member that is willing to help out.

I'm incline to say that would be the best route, also.

Nice work on getting the 4.2 board done!

I'm trying to figure out the justification for the LCD pin header mod. Was is to keep the the unit as low profile as possible?

Nice work on getting the 4.2 board done!

I'm trying to figure out the justification for the LCD pin header mod. Was is to keep the the unit as low profile as possible?

That, and it also makes the button easier to install. Less varience in the LCD install also

As John has said, it was mostly because the LCD wasted so much space that it required the cutout for the button. I would have preferred that it just be mounted below without removing the black plastic strip, but then it would have been about 0.1" too low. That's not terrible but removing the black plastic only takes a minute so I feel it doesn't add much complexity to the build. It may seem much more complicated because there are a lot of instructions, but really there's only 1 more step than "solder the LCD using the pinheader".

Looks like 4.3 will have to switch to another button anyway (the 4 way switch is end-of-life as of this month) so maybe there will be an opportunity to make an even smaller device with different buttons!

Bryan,

I would be interested in getting one of the board with the surface mount done. Please let me know when you have it available,
Does the wireless receiver board still come with it? I like monitoring the outside temp with my La Crosse.
Are the parts included in the mouser project for the surface mount and the wireless card?

Cant wait for the high heat thermo couple option for doing Pizza.

Are the parts included in the mouser project for the surface mount and the wireless card?

Cant wait for the high heat thermo couple option for doing Pizza.

If you scroll down on the HMv4.2 Hardware page, at the bottom you will see a separate section for the thermocouple parts, and a separate Mouser cart for the parts that costs about $5 bucks.... I think the RF support has to be done by external module now (not onboard) but can still be added, not sure on all the details 'cause I've never used it... I think Bryan posted about it in the development log a while ago if I recall correctly...

Back