Help me chose S-670 or E-670

Norton

TVWBB Member
Hey folks, I'm new to the forum, so hi!

I live in good ole' blighty across the pond & have made my decision on the ludicrously (yes, we get screwed) Summit 670. List here is the equivalent of $6,000 USD with the very best price of $4.5k that's quite a markup don't you think?

Anyway, cost aside, I'm moving from an Australian Sunshine Legend 4500 which is about 11 years old & has finally given up on me...

Now, the reason I'm asking a little advice is due to the fact that I want a grill that's going to look good in 5/10 years time without rust spots. I like the look of the SS but I fear, from reading reviews that it shows rust marks just a few months in even with a cover...perhaps I can avoid that by going for the E? I don't know...what are your thoughts?

I want the grill & I want it to look at it's best for as long as possible & at the prices here, hopefully you can see why I ask...Thanks in advance

Lee

I had an S-670 for about a year. When I upgraded to a grill center, I chose the Black Enamel . Rust wasn't a problem it was just general cleanliness and shine. IMHO, the black is easier to polish to keep it looking new.

If it's going to be a keeper, get the E. With a little TLC it will still look great in 30 years. SS is a lot of work to keep looking 'as new' in comparison.

I feel your pain on the markups, same here in OZ.

I have my S420 Summit for several years. I absolutely love it but keeping the stainless steel looking good is a real hand full compared to my Performers and other kettle grills. Not ksure if that helps in making your decision but I would probably opt for other than stainless if replacing my Summit.

Last edited:
Yeah SS does show the grunge. The porcelain enamel is easier to keep looking new BUT it can be chipped and than all bets are off. At least you cannot "chip" the finish on SS. Just a thought

The WOW factor of the S-670 is just beautiful, however, if you're not willing to show the S-670 some love every week or so you better go with the E-670. I have the S-330 and have no problem with rust, I keep a nice coat of wax on her and she stays covered on a covered patio when not in use. Also keep in mind what LMichaels has said. Good luck and good cooking

SS is just a pain to keep looking nice and although it is SS Weber's SS isn't the greatest and it will rust. The biggest problem is the floor of the box rusting out, if you're going to keep it on grass or concrete put a mat under it to provide a shield from the moisture. The moisture coming off concrete is really bad due to the caustic chemicals in the concrete.
With that said my pick would be the E

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies so far folks I appreciate the feedback.

It's not the fact that I'll not show the grill any love, it's that I hear that no matter how fastidious you are you'll still end up with rust spots... I travel extensively & if I'm away for 3 weeks to a month I'd be rather upset to come home to find a spot I couldn't get rid of.

I appreciate it's contentious, potentially short lived SS bling vs enamelled which chip free should keep it's good looks - my desire is something that still looks good say 10 years down the line.

Therefore, based on the replies thus far I'm pretty sure I'll be going for the E, but I'll let you know what I order tomorrow ;)

One thing I forgot to mention was that in an older tread which I can't find, one of the forum members bought a new S330 and before he put it together he sprayed the bottom side of the grill with a good coat of primer to seal off the SS. might help seeing it's so humid where you live.

Well folks, I've done it, thanks again for the feedback & suggestions, I've ordered my shiny new E-670 for delivery on Monday 21st, it can't have it sooner as I'm at my office in MD until the 20th...

I've not told the wife yet & if I'm honest I doubt I'll ever tell her quite how much I've just spent...lol

Looking forward to playing ;)

Back