How many B's are there in Weber?

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
When you register to become a member of this discussion forum, there's a question on the registration form that asks, "What's Your Favorite Brand of Grill?" We ask this question not because we care about the answer; we ask to determine if you're human. Spambots will answer that question with "Toyota" or "ABC123" or "Non" or some other random word. A real human will answer "Weber" or some recognizable brand of grill.

What surprises me is how many people say that their favorite brand of grill is Webber. Yes, Webber with two B's. I just don't get that. The name "Weber" appears at least 7 times on the page, maybe more. But people spell it "Webber".

Just one of life's mysteries, I guess.

Chris, I got my q-200 off of Craigslist (stand included) for $50 a cpl years back by looking up both Weber and Webber. It was listed under Webber. At first he didn't want to deal or lower his price since I contacted him on the first day it was listed. 3 days later, he sent me a msg asking if I was still interested....I guess no one else had contacted him, and my $50 was better than nothing! I still look for grills under Webber and it is surprising how many still get listed with that spelling.
Tim

There are more bees than I can count

img_removal03.jpg

Weber is the Germanic way of spelling the name. Webber is the old English way of spelling it. I grew up in a town with lots of German descendants so when I hear the name I always assume it's spelled with one D. Now if you really want to start a debate about the name should it be pronounced We-ber or Web-er.

As stated above, the one redeeming value of having the misspelling around is for us Craigslist hunters.
Sometimes this is indicative of someone who doesn't know what he/she has and you may score an awesome deal if you search on "Webber" as part of your search routine.

There's a funny audio recording out there on the interweb of a radio call-in show in Hawaii where the host argues with the caller about the pronunciation of Web-er versus We-ber. The implication is that We-ber would be a common pronunciation for Hawaiians.

Too funny. I occasionally search craigslist for weber and 'webber'.

Today's "find" for just $25. Good bargain for someone that wants to fix her up.

http://merced.craigslist.org/hsh/4548991192.html

Something else to think about is why George never changed the name to "Stephen Grill". I suppose that once the grill started gathering so much market share he just didn't want to rebrand it with a new name.

00909_lg1aa7QX4g3_600x450.jpg

I find I HAVE to check craigslist with both Weber and Webber.
what I particularly appreciate is when someone has a 'Webber' that is NIB and they then include....TAH DAH...a picture of the box with the weber name front and center.
But then, I confess I'm anal-retentive.

Too funny. I occasionally search craigslist for weber and 'webber'.

Today's "find" for just $25. Good bargain for someone that wants to fix her up.

http://merced.craigslist.org/hsh/4548991192.html

Something else to think about is why George never changed the name to "Stephen Grill". I suppose that once the grill started gathering so much market share he just didn't want to rebrand it with a new name.

00909_lg1aa7QX4g3_600x450.jpg

Talk about "Rode hard and put away wet!!!"

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Back