Way to utilize excess

Dwain Pannell

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Thank you for taking the time to join us on TVWBB Donna. I am a backyard griller/smoker, weekend warrior, non-competitor though I am a KCBS CBJ and have judged a few competitions. What do you think about the wasted pork, chicken, ribs, and brisket at the end of the judging? Do you think there's a way to reduce the waste to help others less fortunate? Don't worry -- I'm no activist -- I just hate to see that much excellent tasting protein discarded. I'm not even sure there's a great way after being in the danger zone so long but I wonder if you or others on the circuit have considered a solution.

Thanks -- Dwain

You ask a good question Dwain. And it pains me too but as a person who's also a certified food manager, I can't justify the potential risk of harmful bacteria contaminating the food. It's gotta be treated properly and by the books. Otherwise people might get sick. As is, I never save my food. But many do.

That's interesting. I've never heard of that. Thanks for sharing Jim. Have you seen it in action? I'll guess I'll see it in action at Lancaster.

Donna

That's interesting. I've never heard of that. Thanks for sharing Jim. Have you seen it in action? I'll guess I'll see it in action at Lancaster.

Donna

I have not been to a comp that has done this. Since it is only available at certain comps, one would think that some prearranged process is in place. It would be great to do this in conjunction with all the Sam's Club comps. I seriously doubt that would happen though. Sam's Club is so afraid of liability issues that judges cannot even take food home.

Last edited:

Back