a Very Special Smoke Day in Raymond

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
i'm sure many of you already seen Chris Allingham's thread of the Wall Street Journal visiting these parts...
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?52904-Here-s-a-Jim-Lampe-photo-you-don-t-see-every-day
well, here are the photos that were made available to me from their photographer, Sara Stathas.
Some, you may have seen in the video interview with Jamie Purviance in the on-line version of the article...

seasoning the ribs...

SD10p.jpg

http://www.sarastathas.com/

SD10n.jpg

apple and hickory with Kingsford

SD10k.jpg

a few of the racks of ribs seasoned and ready for the World Famous Weber Smoky Mountain cooker

SD10j.jpg

these two racks, along with another, are going in the middle of the WSM

SD10m.jpg

once the smoker was filled with pig, I brought this plate of Atomic Buffalo Turds out for Sara to photograph...
the turds were made the night before.... funny, the WSJ called them stuffed jalapenos wrapped with bacon.
Suppose they did not want to use the word TURD

SD10l.jpg

the next 3 photos were just shots Sara liked... she took probably a few hundred photos...
but I guess that's what photographers do.

SD10g.jpg

sd10d.jpg

SD10f.jpg

Photo Credit: Sara Stathas, http://www.sarastathas.com, used with permission.

Last edited:
ok... now the guests have arrived and the TURDS are smoked for eeting....

sd10c.jpg

an ol' friend of mine Tom (TK) helps me out with serving them to Cheryl and Julie...

SD10b.jpg

this is the photo that made the paper... we're just waiting for the ribs to finish up... minutes away now.

SD10h.jpg

more family and friends with stomachs growlin'... Tammy, Jules, Cheryl, Pat & John...

SD10e.jpg

...and the first shot of the ribs before removing them from the WSM...

SD10a.jpg

now, I hoping they're good... that these people are gonna like 'em....

sd10aa.jpg

I cut them up from the backside using an electric knife... made seeing the bones easily and nice clean cuts...

sd10w.jpg

sd10x.jpg

sd10y.jpg

sd10z.jpg

this was one of the sides, smoked red cabbage...

sd10v.jpg

pies, watermelon along with the turds, cabbage and the ribs waiting to be devoured...

sd10u.jpg

Barbecue sauces were made available for those that liked it... That's TK with my but in the middle and Mike with Deb on the right.

sd10t.jpg

think I had Rufus Teague, Maull's, Weber's and Pappy's

sd10s.jpg

my father-in-law Tom hopefully enjoying another ABT...

sd10cc.jpg

...and my 13 year old nephew Saul lovin' the ribs...

sd10r.jpg

Pat, Kitty and Mike having fun in Raymond....

sd10bb.jpg

this plate, i'm not sure who ate it, was a "promo" shot I guess you could call it...
Actually, I think I ate it. Sure I went back for more ribs AND beans.... KILLER beans! (Thanks Kitty!)

sd10q.jpg

the funny thing about the T-shirt I'm wearing here...
I saw an Aaron Franklin youtube video and he was wearing one VERY similar to it...
ACTUALLY, he's wearing the ORIGINAL.
The State of TEXAS in the Q of BBQ...
I saw it, loved it, tried to find one like it... could not...
Decide to have my own printed. Just as I was ready to burn the image, a friend said,
"Swap out Texas with Wisconsin in the Q"...
So I did. That was back in March or April...

When the WSJ decided to send a photographer to shoot the SM10 in Raymond, my buddy said
WEAR THE WISCONSIN BBQ SHIRT
So I did.

Well, later that night, I received a message via FaceBook from the person that designed the shirt.
well, I did not get the message until a few days ago today (I rarely use facebook)
The lady that contacted me was made aware of the article in the WSJ by a few friends and by a particular Texas BBQ magazine editor...
some dufus in Wisconsin has stolen your design... ←my words
my first reaction after reading her message was, Holy ShiRt!
but I contacted her, told her I only printed the one shirt, hope you're good with that.....
She was, in fact, she sent me a FREE ORIGINAL t-shirt and it's AWESOME!

You too can get one using this link→ info@wyattmcspadden.com
Here is a Wyatt McSpadden photo of Roy Perez (pitmaster at Kreuz Market in Lockhart, TX) wearing an Original...

Well, that's it folks... I thank you ALL for stoppin' by!
I truly appreciate all the great comments you folks threw out there... Very humbling.... Very!
This is one Smoke Day party I'll NEVER forget!

Last edited:
Outstanding,looks like you did a fantastic job!!! Thanks for sharing and letting us see the behind the scenes pics!

Looks like a super good time Jim, and the photos look as great as the food!
Way to represent TVWBB, and to show WSJ readers what mid-western barbecue and hospitality is all about!

Jim;
It couldn't happen to a nicer guy! Congratulations! Now, the whole world knows that you are a superb Pitmaster!

Don't forget, tho', we saw you first:D (LOL)...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Back