Should I upgrade to a Sear Burner or leave my EP 310 alone?

GeorgeG

TVWBB Member

I have a 4-5 month old Genesis EP 310.

I do a lot of steaks, chops and burgers.

It runs about 560 degrees what all 3 burners on high. I have noticed that it does not sear the steaks hardly at all.

Should I spend the roughly $150 and up grade it with the sear burner or leave it as is?

Does the extra sear burner really make that big a difference?

Thanks!

I don't know what is involved in that modification, but I'm sure it's still much easier and cheaper just to get the grill grates and then you can use them on other grills if you have more

I would buy a nice cast iron griddle and set it over one of the burners, preheat the grill and start the steaks on the cast iron griddle and once the steaks are seared on both sides move steaks off griddle to finish cooking.

I have an Weber EP-330 with the sear burner and a Weber S-470 Summit with the sear burner as well.

I don't think the sear burners work all that great.

I ordered a set of GrillGrates and their aluminum griddle accessory and I think that combo does a much better job than the sear burner by itself.

IMG_1987 by e4dorla, on Flickr

IMG_1997 by e4dorla, on Flickr

I have an E320 and don't have any problems getting a decent sear. It's not as great as my performer with a roaring load of coals but it works. From what I've read on the forum most people are not overly impressed with the sear burner.

Also if you're going to try and get the parts from Weber you will find out they want the serial number from your grill and when it comes up as a 310 they won't sell you the sear burner parts. There policy is to not sell parts to upgrade only replacement parts.

Last edited:
I too have the 310 and one thing I found with mine is that it seems to be the hottest right by the igniter, so on mine the right front corner of the grill. That's where I find the best luck

I have a EP-330 with the sear burner and the 9mm stainless steel grates (upgraded). It works ok but not the best. Here's two examples:

Chicken quarters

Ribeye

I agree that you should look into adding grill grates. They are more affordable, require no effort to use, and are adaptable to other grills.

I know this is late but 560 degrees should give you a fine sear. Do you pat your steaks dry before throwing on the grill? The reason I ask is because they will not sear well if they have surface moisture.

Back