S-320 Clean UP

Briant

TVWBB Member
So I ended up getting that 2010 model S-320 and have ordered a new starter... I figured I'd wait to begin it's clean up until that arrives early next week and do everything at once. This is my first Stainless grill, so I am looking for some tips on cleaning/maintenance. This is also my first attempt at posting pictures, so hopefully they come through properly the first go round...

I have some rust spots on the stainless and some 'grime' on the outside of the lid... Just elbow grease w/ soap & water or should I be using something a little stronger? Below are the doors of the cabinet & side table as well as a shot of the grime on the lid.

Also have a question regarding the firebox... would you do anything? It seems used, but nothing really screams out to me as needing immediate attention.

I have some rust on the cart. What's the best way to contain it? Scrub it and hit with rustoleum?

Last question... the grates are in very good shape w/ no stuck on residue. Will they get their stainless look back if cleaned with oven cleaner? Or is that just designed to remove stuck on food?

I appreciate your input!

Brian

Congrats on the new grill!

My two cents on the grill:
- On the stainless steel you can use either Weber Stainless Steel cleaner or Barkeeper's Friend to make it look like new. I also like to use Simple Green as a general cleaner and degreaser.
- The cookbox shows signs of a small grease fire. I would clean it and take care to keep it clean in the future.
- The cart only has a two-year warranty against rust. I'd hit it with self-etching primer (the stuff they paint utility boxes with) and Rustoleum or a high-heat paint.
- If you use oven cleaner on the grates, DO NOT let it get on the rest of the grill. Oven cleaner will peel off the gray paint on the outside of the lid and cookbox.

Hey Briant..grill looks great man...I would just take a wire brush to that rust and spot paint it with some rustoleum...also, the grates should come almost clean as new if you take them out and put them in a heavy duty garbage bag and spray some oven cleaner on them and then close the bag...

I have the same spots on my grill on the stainless and I know that regular soap and elbow grease won't get it off lol...I'm gonna try some of the Weber stainless cleaner and see how it goes

Briant, I have a 2009 E320 in copper and just love it. One of the problems with the newer Genesis is rust on the lower parts of the box. This was not a problem on the earlier Genesis as they were open on the bottom.
If your grill is going to be on concrete or grass place a mat under it to keep moisture from attacking the metal. Concrete is really bad because the moisture coming off it is very corrosive due to the chemicals such as lime in the concrete. Also when you fix your rust damage, spray the underside of the grill box with a couple of coats of primer to seal off the metal.
Enjoy your new grill!

Thanks Chuck & Rich. I didn't know the concrete had that effect. I'll definitely do something to protect it since I've already got a rust issue. If I do the oven cleaner trick on the grates, are the Costco yard trash bags 'heavy duty' enough?

Have to do a Depot run today, and I'm going to pick up a couple cleaning products to test out... I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Briant, any yard trash bags are good. I have used regular indoor trash can bags and they do fine. Oven cleaner isn't as caustic as people seem to make out a lot.

You have a nice grill, but that cancerous rust down at the bottom will continue to spread if it is not killed. To do it correctly, it should be disassembled and sandblasted, or at least wire wheeled and then apply some zinc rich primer or POR-15 before you topcoat. This is a real issue with these grills. If you take care of that, you will have a great grill that will last a long time.

I ditto the cleaning snd Por 15 treatmeng and the rust will not come back. I bought a small package kit from Amazon through tvwbb to support the site . The kit is 20 bucks and is more than enough to do your bottom grill area.

POR15 is great stuff - I use it on vehicle projects myself. I like self-etching primer on stuff like this because the spray can is easier.

For the surface rust on the lid and side burner cover go to your local NAPA Auto Parts store and buy a bottle of Aluminum Brightener. It comes in a spray bottle. Spray it on using gloves and a kitchen sponge/scuff pad and then rinse with garden hose. You will be amazed at how easy it works!

Back