Hello from Kentucky!

AaronTackett

Hey everyone! My name is Aaron, and I'm from Kentucky. I am fairly new to smoking and barbecue. I purchased an 18.5" WSM from a truckload sale of returned Amazon.com merchandise about 2 years ago. It was missing the heat shield for the bottom and was un assembled, new in an open box. I paid $40 for it and called Weber, who kindly sent me the part it was missing for free! Anyways, I have been lurking around this site since my purchase and finally decided to join. I have been experimenting with making my own rubs and sauces and trying different types of wood and charcoal starting methods. Haven't gotten brave enough to try a beef brisket yet, but have done plenty of pork and chicken (some pics attached). Looking forward to learning more and sharing with this community!

imagejpg1.jpg

imagejpg2.jpg

imagejpg3.jpg

imagejpg4.jpg

Thanks all! I'm taking my first crack at baby back ribs tomorrow. Using a homemade rub, homemade mustard sauce to hold the rub on, and some Stubbs Sticky Sweet to finish them off. Planning to use a modified 3-2-1 method on them.

Welcome aboard from another ol' Kentucky boy. I'm about like you, haven't tried brisket yet. I do my smoking on the performer and cook about everything else. I did 3 racks of babybacks the other day and did a 2.5/1.5/.5 and they came out great.

Dinner turned out great today. Here's what I did:

First thing this morning I scored 80lbs of Kingsford for $20 at Lowes. They have the 2x20lb value packs on sale for $9.98 right now which is half price.
image-19.jpg

I coated my ribs in a homemade beer and mustard based sauce and put on a rub that I mixed myself.

image-20.jpg

image-22.jpg

image-23.jpg

Then I used a modified 3-2-1 method using advice I got here it was more like 2.5-1.5-.5. I also added a little bit of 100% apple juice in my water bowl. During step 2 of the method I used the same apple juice as added liquid in the foil with my ribs. Topped them off with Stubbs BBQ sauce. Next time I'm gonna try to experiment with some homemade sauce containing bourbon. Turned out great! Thought I'd share.
image-21.jpg

Looks good Aaron! I've never used a mustard sauce yet, but plan on it soon.

Great deal on the Kingsford too. Home Depot has that same deal twice a year here. Once during Memorial Day and again on the Fourth of July. I filled up an old Chevy van that sits in my driveway with it on Memorial Day.

Didn't want my new smoker to go hungry.

Back