Hoping to restore my 10 year old Weber Genesis Silver A

ShawnOen

Hi, we have a 2003 or 2004 model Genesis Silver A we purchased new.

I think it was a special model at the time? It came with stainless steel grates and flavorizer bars.

Its in great shape overall, just a bit dirty and there is some whitening of what I think is called the "firebox".

What would be the best way to refinish the firebox? If it wasn't exposed to high temps I'd have it media blasted and powdercoated. But I know normal powdercoating begins to fail above 300 F.

Would high temp rattle can paint hold up long term (10+ years)? High temp powdercoating?

Thanks, Shawn

ACEA1980-8117-4D6C-8213-FE17DA635F48_zpsrsqdxkwn.jpg

All the ones I've done I've used a couple of coats of rust-oleum high temp paint with good results. My own 1000 LX I did about 5 years ago and it's holding up fine. Media blasting works best but sanding it will work fine also. Just don't paint the inside of the lid or firebox or the fumes will get ya.

Ditto on the paint. Soda blasting is probably best but it costs. Scraping and sanding works. A good pressure wash can help. Your grill appears to be in good condition. It will clean up quite well. The SS grates and bars may take some elbow grease but they should clean up too.

Thanks for the info. My buddy has an automatic automotive parts washer so I'm thinking I'll try that first with the grates and see how they turn out.

I had mine mdeia blasted which cleaned it all up to the white. I then hit it with a coat of 2000 Degree Primer and finished with a coat of 1200 Degree Hi Temp Paint. Probably overkill, but it didn't cost much.

The officially recommended repair per Weber's website for the cookbox is sanding the outside with sandpaper (~200 grit or so) and using high-temp barbeque spray paint. So it'll do the trick no problem. Seconding Rich's recommendation to not paint the inside of the grill.

Went to the depot and saw they had 2 different rustolium paints. One I'm guessing was a flat black...the other was a semi gloss. Which one is preferred? I bought the flat...but now am thinking the other is the only I wanted.

Just a matter of preference, I did the flat black and didn't like the look and went back with a couple of coats of the semi and liked that a whole lot better.

Back