First BBQ Comp in a few weeks! A few q's

Scott LeRette

My wife and I are taking the plunge (she LOVES watching me cook...and wants to take part)... It's $30 per meat category- beef, pork, chik and other... Setup at 6 am and judge at 4 pm. Figure with time restraints and being first timers were going to do ribs, lollipop chik and a thick ribeye for other (maybe a dessert instead of the steak). Anyway... Thoughts on temp... Is 250 good to cover different meats? Even knowing the turnin times should I plan for starting even earlier than I would think? Having a "clean" station? Must have tools and other tools and tables and water etc? Anything!!! Please share any and all thoughts. Gunna be fun I know. Btw- using my WSM 22.5 for all cooking. Plan on getting a 14.5 but this is it for know. I have a Maverick.

Do they accept ribs as the pork. A lot of times pork referrers to shoulder and in the case of a contest like is where they don't give enough time for a low and slow shoulder they are thinking loin. As far as what to take, I would google competition checklist. It will center around tables, utensils, and cooking supplies. Any thing you use at home you will want at comp. then while at your first one you will start making a list of what to bring to the next one.

Back