What am I looking for?

M Halle

TVWBB Member
Hi all. I've been having out at the smoking side for a while and am looking forward to trying something new. I really want to get me a 3 burner grill to try and restore. What should I be looking for? What should I avoid. I don't see to many of the red ones...are they more rare? How much does it usually cost to do a full restore...and what should I spend on one to buy? Sorry for so many questions but kinda wanna know what I'm getting into before I jump in with both feet. If I had my preference...if go with a red one with the wood shelves and wood bottom shelves. I have seen some of those you guys have done and boy they look good. Thanks Matt

A Genesis 1000-5000 series is a good starting point, they are easy to find and parts are readily available. The 13 flavorizor bars is a plus over the silver Bs 5 IMO.
Look for a rust free frame and a solid fire box. The burners and grates are easily purchased from EBay or Amazon and many web sites including Weber. The flavorizor bars I would recommend you contact Rcplanebuyer on EBay he makes excellent SS bars which are thicker then Weber’s and cheaper also.
Cost wise it depends on how much upgrading you want to do and the condition of what you have. If the grill is serviceable as is you can replace a little at a time. The rest is paint and elbow grease.
Start pricing what you think you might need and go from there.
When you’re done even if it totals out to a couple of hundred dollars you will have a great cooking grill for a fraction of the cost of a basic new Genesis 310.

Thanks for replying to me Rich. Is there a website to get to that has parts schematics? Or where do I find info like that?

I see the Silver Genesis SS top's pop around here on CL for less then $100 if they have a SS top that means the grates and flavorizer bars are also SS. If you see one on CraigList jump on it especially < $100

Well...I offered the guy 35 and he wouldn't bite. Said the grill works fine. I live 2 hours away. Is it worth the 50 he is asking considering the drive also? And if the are in mint shape...how much are these worth?

I'm on my third restore..
The first was EASY - it is a 2 burner silver genesis
unezateg.jpg

It was free so I had a simple start. All it needed was some cleaning, new crossover burner, Flavorizer bars and a new ignitor.
So I have about $55 in it... I went with the less expensive RiversEdgeProducts bars off ebay.
It works great- gets to 450 degrees pretty quick.

My second one is a Red Genesis 3000 I got for $35
I got lucky and all it needed was the Flavorizer bars - Its the deep box with 13 bars and were $65 from RiversEdge
Its a 3 burner and gets to $550 quick.

Finally I have a Genesis 3000 with the side burner - I had been looking for this grill on caigs list for months and up I snatched the first one I saw.
Ultimately I overpaid $100 ;-( It looked like it was in a lot better shape than it really was. After cleaning it up I realised i should have paid under $50
But this one is a keeper and i wanted to do it right.
New parts from weber - bottom side rails for the catch pan, new catch pan assembly, new left side table, New burners, New Cast iron cooking grates, New ignitor and Flavorizer bars. When its all said and done I'll have over $250 in it. But then it should be good for a long time.

My advice- be patient. Pick up an easy one to do first that you can sell after you find what you really want.
Be sure to look for frame rust. Be sure to look at the cross fire ignition tube - lots of those are burned out.
Be sure to look under the grill at the rails that hold the catch pan on and the catch pan itself. They rust out much faster than the rest of the grill.

I have ordered pars off Ebay, Amazon and from Weber directly - just shop prices.
this site is awesome for manuals
http://outdoorcooking.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/weber/weber_product_list.html
EReplacement parts for exploded diagrams.
http://www.ereplacementparts.com/weber-231001-genesis-3000-grill-parts-c-193079_193087_193213.html

The hardest part will be cleaning the grill and loosening any corroded nuts and bolts.
Just be patient - pliers, wd40, PB-Blaster and a rubber mallet are your friends!

Wow. Thanks Barry. That helps quite a bit. I'm actually looking for a red genisis when all is said and done. I came across this grill I'm talking about in this post. The guy is asking 50. Ultimately I would want to sell this one when I find a red one. He says it's in good shape with the 13 bar set up. If I did buy it...Depending on what it needs...if anything. What could I look to get out of it? It's hard...like I said because I live 2 hours 1 way. So...if I go all the way there...I'm gonna bring it home.

Wow. Thanks Barry. That helps quite a bit. I'm actually looking for a red genisis when all is said and done. I came across this grill I'm talking about in this post. The guy is asking 50. Ultimately I would want to sell this one when I find a red one. He says it's in good shape with the 13 bar set up. If I did buy it...Depending on what it needs...if anything. What could I look to get out of it? It's hard...like I said because I live 2 hours 1 way. So...if I go all the way there...I'm gonna bring it home.

I dont think I'd drive 2 hours for it... gas costs would eat in on profit.
If its clean when your done $100-$150 in my market.

Like Barry said be patient, there are millions of the Genesis 1000 - 3000 out there. I've done 5 refurbs not including my own 1000LX, four series 1000s and a Silver B. four off CL and one garage sale find. Never paid more then $35 for them and all were in good to very good condition. The most I put into one was $95 and that was one I did for a friend so I wasn't looking to make a profit on it. But, and there is always a but, I bought all of those in the late fall and early winter. With the grilling season just getting started expect to pay more.
Be patient and be picky don't jump on the first one just to get a project going if it's a rusted out derelict, you'll only get frustrated a end up spending a fortune to get it up to speed

Thanks Rich. I did decide to pass on that one. I'm just going to wait for a good one to come along for a price I like. Glad to know these are not much to fix up. From what I learned...as long as the frame and fire box are good...everything else is fairly cheap to replace.

Can you covert a natural gas grill to propane? And what is all involved?

Yes, depending on the model. You will have to buy a new manifold as the jets on NG are larger then LP. If you're going to try and get the manifold from Weber they will want the serial number off the grill and that will be for a NG grill so they won't sell you a LP manifold. Ereplacementparts will not ask for the serial #. How do I know that, because I bought a NG manifold to convert my Genesis 1000 lx from LP to NG.
Cost will be about $100. The 1000-3000 series are easy to find the 5000 uses a different manifold and may be difficult to find.
I would suggest if you find a NG grill make sure you can get the LP manifold before you buy the grill.
Hope that helps.

If you don't mind the low/medium settings being a little on the "hot" side (not very much mind you just a tad) it can be done MUCH more cheaply by simply getting new "spuds" (gas jets) and having them sized for propane at 11" WC and about 9500 BTU. Buy a regulator for propane (about $20) and the spuds about $5.00 total and you're done. Keep the NG ones and you can switch easily.

Back