What's your favorite pickled vegetable?

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
I've pickled eggs several times & love them, made pickles once & I cheaped out (used what I had on hand) by using apple cider *flavored* vinegar and didn't really like them.

So now I have an empty crock, it's probably a little larger than a gallon. What's been rattling around in my head is pickling vegetables like carrots, cauliflower, onion, radishes, beets, hot peppers, and whatever else looks good from the produce department.

I've also wanted to make my own sauerkraut, I've actually bought 2 heads of cabbage twice to do this but that never happened....................

if you have a favorite to suggest for me to try I'd sure like to hear it.

Thanks!

Favorite pickled vegetable....Sauerkraut, without a doubt! Get busy, Clint - no more procrastinating. We have quite a few "Krauters" among us.

Rita

Last edited:
I like pickled beets; they go really well with pickled eggs. One of my favorite things are pickled carrots with jalapenos and onions. Most of the Mexican restaurants and take out places here carry them as condiments.

well people, I'm ready to go!

I'm planning on doing Sauerkraut (from Wild Fermentation), I think I might mix in some sliced beets & carrots just to see how they turn out. This will be done in a 5 gallon food safe bucket I picked up from Lowes today.

I'm also planning on pickling some Cauliflower, jalapenos, carrots, onions (3 large vidalia or sweet yellow), and some sliced beets too, I think.... these will be done in the fridge in a ~1G glass jar - not sure the brine, I just got back from a bike ride and cracked a cutthroat pale ale to think about it :)

I'll post pics if there's anything noteworthy.

>>>edit, I think I'll also throw some Brussels Sprouts in each container, too..... I grabbed 1.5# of them

We pickle, pickles! And we really like dilly beans, and we usually do jalapeños, sliced and whole. I think we are going to try carrots this year, in addition to the pickles and beans and jalapeños. This is some of last year's haul. I think we are going to try carrots this year if they ever come up....

Clint, remember, if you add beets to your kraut mixture, you'll wind up with pink kraut. But maybe that's your goal. Have fun with it!

Rita

Clint
18.5 Weber Smokey Mountain > 22.5 One Touch Platinum > Smokey Joe Gold > Go Anywhere Gas

Check this out: (from the complete book of home preserving)

10448745_10202184317231304_65269760277081887_n.jpg

Clint
18.5 Weber Smokey Mountain > 22.5 One Touch Platinum > Smokey Joe Gold > Go Anywhere Gas

how do you keep the pickled veggies crunchy? I did jalapeños last year and while the flavor was good they were pretty much mush when i opened them.

Dad used alum when he'd put up banana peppers. They were good and crunchy when he would open the jar, and were so good I used to take banana pepper sandwiches to elementary school for lunch! :D

well I got it all done. I ran 1.5 cabbages (I used half a cabbage for lettuce wraps this week) through the food processor this came to 5#. I used 3T+ kosher salt & mixed it in a 5gallon bucket with a loose lid,

then I took 2 large-ish onions, 1 head of cauliflower, 6 jalapenos sliced lengthwise & then like 3 chops, 1 sliced beets, 5 peeled & halved carrots.....2 habaneros. I used 32oz bragg's ACV & filled the rest of the way with tap water. I used 2T pickling spice, 2T powdered mustard, a bunch of peppercorns, 1T coriander seeds.. I think I was supposed to boil the water/spice/vinegar brine.. I thought that the vinegar would kill any nasties in the water when I did it - hope I'm right. This will be kept in the fridge and eaten within 5 weeks I think.

Clint, I should have mentioned that you need to keep the air out of the fermenting kraut. I used to put a large zipper bag of water on top of the brined cabbage to seal out the air but have since seen one-way valves (airlocks) that can be installed in the lid so that the fermentation gasses can be expelled without allowing air to enter the container -- a much more efficient way than I used to do it. It's probably not too late to use them if you want to. I believe they are available in a beer-brewing store, or even at AMAZON. Maybe this is more than you care to get into at this point, but it's something you can keep in your back pocket for the future.

Rita

I have a ton of homebrew equipment in the basement - I actually considered using one but my friend told me not to, said it needed air like Kombucha.

This is going to be fun I think :)

That's interesting and I stand corrected. I just checked an excellent site, The University of Georgia Center for Home Food Preservation, and in their sauerkraut directions, I didn't see anything about keeping air out. Now that I think about it, mine (with the brine bag on top) didn't 100% cover the cabbage either - maybe 95-98%. I recall seeing the airlocks on several sauerkraut sites as I was Googling not long ago and might have thought it was new information. I hope you enjoy browsing the UGA site - it's a good one and includes information on how to can the sauerkraut. They also have excellent instructions on how to make your own yogurt.

I agree, you'll have fun playing with all the variations! :) Please keep us up to date.

Rita

Back