Stoker or BBQ Guru??

Chuck Bench

TVWBB Fan
I know this subject has probably been beat to death, but I get overwhelmed looking through all the old threads and I want some real world real time opinions...some of the old threads bring up points that I'm sure have been resolved by now or I'm hoping so anyways...

these are the features that I want in the ATC unit...some of these features won't matter unless I'm at a competition...

1. Wifi capability without internet...I want to be able to connect the atc to my phone through a router without being hooked up to the internet...I don't want bluetooth...and I have an Samsung Galaxy S5 so it has to be on an Android platform not iOS.

2. Multiple pits...I want to be able to control at least 2 WSMs from one unit through my phone.

3. Multiple probes...I want to be able to monitor multiple pieces of meat at one time.

4. Basicly I want the ultimate temperature control system for competition where I can get some sleep at night and be woken up if things go badly during the night...I would also like to be able to control everything from my phone if possible also.

5. Money is not really an issue, I don't mind paying for something if it's going to work correctly and reliably.

6. If there's something out there besides the Stoker or BBQ Guru that will do what I need it to do, I'm open to those products also.

Hi Chuck,
I have a Stoker and still getting used to it. Currently I have temp spike/drops issues that I am trying to work out. Could be the pit not being fully sealed (have high temp gasket on the way) or charcoal being used but if I avereage the temps out, it matches what I set the pit temp to on the Stoker. Since I only have a Stoker, I can't comment on the performance or features of the Guru. The Stoker does what you are looking for. You can connect it wired or wireless to a router, then, if your phone is connected to the same router, you can view the built-in web server and change values if you would like. The Stoker can monitor mulitple pits and multiple food probes. There is at least one app available for the Android that you can use to monitor the Stoker with using your phone (pit pal). Yesterday, while doing a 'test' cook, I was at my son's baseball practice using my phone to monitor the pit back at home. Yes, this did involve an internet connection but it gives you an idea of what can be done with it. Without an internet connect, if I connect my phone to the same router as the pit, I can still connect to the webserver of the Stoker. For using multiple fans, I think you need to upgrade the Stoker power supply from the stock one. The option may be available when you order it, not certain since I only use mine for one pit.

Hope that provides some insight into the Stoker capabilities.

Dave

Hi Chuck,
I have a Stoker and still getting used to it. Currently I have temp spike/drops issues that I am trying to work out. Could be the pit not being fully sealed (have high temp gasket on the way) or charcoal being used but if I avereage the temps out, it matches what I set the pit temp to on the Stoker. Since I only have a Stoker, I can't comment on the performance or features of the Guru. The Stoker does what you are looking for. You can connect it wired or wireless to a router, then, if your phone is connected to the same router, you can view the built-in web server and change values if you would like. The Stoker can monitor mulitple pits and multiple food probes. There is at least one app available for the Android that you can use to monitor the Stoker with using your phone (pit pal). Yesterday, while doing a 'test' cook, I was at my son's baseball practice using my phone to monitor the pit back at home. Yes, this did involve an internet connection but it gives you an idea of what can be done with it. Without an internet connect, if I connect my phone to the same router as the pit, I can still connect to the webserver of the Stoker. For using multiple fans, I think you need to upgrade the Stoker power supply from the stock one. The option may be available when you order it, not certain since I only use mine for one pit.

Hope that provides some insight into the Stoker capabilities.

Dave

thanks Dave...that helps alot...the Stoker is what I'm leaning toward...when I order whichever system I decide on I'm going to call and order so I can make sure I get everything I need to begin with...

do you feel as though the stock 4' probe cables are long enough or should I upgrade the length of them...I'm going to have a table setup in between the 2 WSMs and the Stoker in the middle of the table with the cables hanging off each side of the table to go the WSMs

The Stoker and Guru are both great systems. I currently use the Stoker to run 3 22.5" WSMs and a Guru to run a 18.5" WSM. I use basic Kingsford Charcoal on all the WSMs, and have no issues with temp spikes. If I do have spikes, it's due to wind, sun or having the lid off too long or too much. I believe that Guru has a unit that can run two pits, but I don't know much about it.

If you go with the Stoker, definitely go with the next longer probe. You never know when you'll need that extra length.

I upgraded to the longer probes. It is a little hassle trying not to trip on them when I do check the pit but the length lets me sit the Stoker on the table next to the pit. I also use a Maverick ET-733 and hate the 3' cords since I have to sit a chair next to the pit to hold the controller.

ok so I went with the Stoker...this is what I would up buying...I think I'm set now...

WiFi Stoker Kit - 5cfm $330.00 Qty: 1

18 WSM Adapter $25.00 Qty: 2

10ft Probe Upgrade $12.00 Qty: 1

10ft Probe Upgrade $12.00 Qty: 1

8ft Blower Extension $8.00 Qty: 2

5 c.f.m. Blower $60.00 Qty: 1

Pit Sensor 10ft $47.00 Qty: 1

Food Probe 10ft $47.00 Qty: 3

WSM Grill Adapter $10.00 Qty: 2

Bracket Combo - WiFi $20.00 Qty: 1

Three Port Expander $25.00 Qty: 1

Back