Which grates do I have?

Chuck Bench

TVWBB Fan
if y'all could help me figure it out I'd really appreciate it...

I'm trying to figure out whether the grill grates I have for my E-310 are cast iron or porcelain coated...they have flat sides on one side of the grate and more pointed bars on the other side of the grate

I'm hoping they are cast iron, because I want to strip them down and re-season them like a cast iron skillet so food doesn't stick to them...

here's some pictures of the grates...

20140605_105506_zpsaj9qpvdo.jpg

20140605_105459_zpsanbodrvf.jpg

20140605_105512_zpsedafw70e.jpg

If they were uncoated cast iron they would have a bit of rust here and there, unless they were brand-spanking new.
I don't see any rust and the color looks too light.

I would say that you have porcelain-coated cast iron grates.
One of the gasser connoisseurs will be along shortly to verify.

Looks like non porcelain cast iron to me. The porcelain coated CI tends to be smoother in appearance and doesn't show as much texture as i see in that first picture. The porcelain coated steel grates are stamped steel and lightweight making them very easy to tell apart from the heavier Cast Iron grates. The stainless steel.....well they're stainless :) Those grates look nice.....heat em up, brush em, and give them a good oiling.

*Edit* quick google search shows the 300 series grates to be porcelain enameled CI so Joe F nailed it.

Last edited:
there is some rust on the grates...

just so everyone looking at these pictures knows...the grates are the ones that are reversible...they are flat on the other side of these pictures not concave...

20140605_112922_zpsisnf3qb5.jpg

20140605_112939_zpscny2qhbo.jpg

ok after looking on Weber's site, I totally agree that they are porcelain cooking grates...

Question: How can I clean and season the cooking grates?

Can I season them like normal cast iron or will the porcelain cause a problem?

Can the porcelain grates withstand REALLY high temps?...I want to put them through the self cleaning cycle in my oven to clean everything off of them

A couple of thoughts:

1) You can buy a brand new replacement set of Weber Porcelein enamelled cast iron grates for $69.95 a pair. Home Depot stocks them or will ship them to you for free. I think this is your part number, but double check your dimensions:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-Porcelain-Enameled-Cast-Iron-Cooking-Grates-2-Pack-7524/100623121

There are other options, stainless steel rod grates, for example.

2) I have, in all cases, found it to be a terrible idea to try to strip old rusted cast iron grates or skillets. It always ends up making them worse. Believe me, once you dive into that tar pit, you'll be thinking $69.95 for a new set would have been a bargain!

3) Your grates aren't that bad. Give them a good brushing from all directions from all sides and directions. Coat them with oil or lard and heat them up. Brush 'em again. Just use them. The more fat that drips on them and the more it builds up, the better. Do a couple of pork roasts or pork butts, indirect, and let all that good pork fat season them for you. Or, just brush them with oil (a silicon bristle basting brush works great for this), and heat up the grill to an internal temp of 250 to 300 degrees for an hour. Repeat as many times as you like. Your gas grill is perfect for seasoning cast iron because any oil that drips off will burn away on the flavorizor bars without setting off the smoke detectors in the house! Having used just about everything, I'd probably melt some lard and brush that on the grates. Flip 'em over and brush the other side. Canola/veggie oil tends to leave kind of a sticky shellac-like surface. Not so much with lard. You won't even know they were rusted.

Last edited:
I would have thought the porcelain grates wouldn't rust

I think the porcelain coating is nice while it lasts, but is probably a temporary coating on an outdoor grill grate. Personally, I would season them and try to build up as much cooking fat/residue on them from the get go, just like uncoated cast iron grates. The more build-up, the less chance of rust. A quick brush while they are hot after and before each cook. That's it. Never use a cleaner.

Get them hot as that 310 will go, scrub them with a good wire brush (while still hot) let them cool, put some vegetable oil on them, call it good to go

how hot can I get the porcelain coating that's left on the grates?

I appreciate all the tips and advice...I have MANY many cast iron skillets, pots, griddles and the like...I definitely know how to strip and season cast iron so it can be used properly...

My main concern with heating the grates to extreme temps to strip them is the porcelain coating becoming a problem because of the extremely high temperature

I'll just say this and then I'll chime out. That BBQ is OK, and now that you have it, part of it's charm is funky grates and everything else. IMHO you want to get them clean enough so that you can prepare food that you & your family are gonna eat off. In doing so, you might wear down or even off, any remaining porcelain. Is that a deal breaker? Not for me it wouldn't be. You could always buy new grates and all this would be for not. But that's not why you have it. You got it because it has "charm" and you're going to get the most out of that charm and make some great food off it.

It's kinda like my dad's coupe I have. I could fix it up real nice, but then I probably wouldn't enjoy it like I do. I drive it, I like it, it drips oil, it rattles is has some "stuff." But I enjoy it anyway as it is. IMHO, you might want to go that route with your 310

I'll just say this and then I'll chime out. That BBQ is OK, and now that you have it, part of it's charm is funky grates and everything else. IMHO you want to get them clean enough so that you can prepare food that you & your family are gonna eat off. In doing so, you might wear down or even off, any remaining porcelain. Is that a deal breaker? Not for me it wouldn't be. You could always buy new grates and all this would be for not. But that's not why you have it. You got it because it has "charm" and you're going to get the most out of that charm and make some great food off it.

It's kinda like my dad's coupe I have. I could fix it up real nice, but then I probably wouldn't enjoy it like I do. I drive it, I like it, it drips oil, it rattles is has some "stuff." But I enjoy it anyway as it is. IMHO, you might want to go that route with your 310

exactly my sentiments also...I'm not trying to argue or be difficult I promise...I would like to clean off the rust and season the grates so that the part of the grates that the porcelain has chipped/worn off of will be protected and not rust again...and I won't get rusty bits in my food

I didn't take it that way either, you have a cool ol' BBQ and my advise was drive the wheels off it, that's where the true joy is in this hobby (IMHO)

oh ok thanks...I was just hoping to not offend...sometimes I can come across like that in person and the internet just enhances everything lol...I'm glad you didn't take it that way...

also, on a side note, I plan on getting the Weber Gourmet BBQ system for my Genesis, but until that day comes I want some clean food lol

I wouldn't even worry about the remaining porcelain enamel. Just treat them as raw cast iron grates and do whatever you would normally do to refurbish old raw cast iron.

thanks for the link Joe...I definitely plan on getting SS flavorizer bars from him and I would get the SS grates from him also, but I'm set on getting the BBQ Gourmet system from Weber, because of all the inserts for their grate, but really I could just put a griddle on top of rcplanebuyer's SS grates or a pizza stone on top of it also...

does anyone know how to get in touch with rcplanebuyer so I can get him to make me a set of SS grill grates and a SS warming rack?...he doesn't have them for sale on ebay, but I've heard that if you contact him that he'll make them for you..thanks

Last edited:

Back