New Blog: The Virtual Weber Gas Grill

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
I've recently started a new blog called The Virtual Weber Gas Grill. I'm posting recipes, tips & techniques, and info about accessories, safety, cleaning, maintenance, restoration, and more. It's a companion to my WSM site The Virtual Weber Bullet and this discussion forum.

I hope you'll check it out and register to receive updates! And if you have topic ideas, please let me know. You can post them here, or as a comment on the blog, or by email to virtualwebergasgrill at gmail dot com.

Best,
Chris

Chris just a little side note on the expired propane tanks. I take my propane tanks to get filled also, but when they are expired and I can't get them filled anymore or they are getting kind of rusty, I just take them and exchange them. That way I get a new painted and inspected tank for the price of an exchange. The exchange company recerts the old tank and puts it back in the market. A lot cheaper than buying a new tank and then having it filled. I also do this with garage sale finds if they are out of cert

Chris just a little side note on the expired propane tanks. I take my propane tanks to get filled also, but when they are expired and I can't get them filled anymore or they are getting kind of rusty, I just take them and exchange them. That way I get a new painted and inspected tank for the price of an exchange. The exchange company recerts the old tank and puts it back in the market. A lot cheaper than buying a new tank and then having it filled. I also do this with garage sale finds if they are out of cert

Better check the dates on the "new" tanks your exchanging for. It could be older then the one your turning in. I refill tanks and many of the "re-certified" tanks I see are decades old. You can paint them and slap a sticker on them but a 25 year old tank is still 25 years old.

New topics for gas grills

I've recently started a new blog called The Virtual Weber Gas Grill. I'm posting recipes, tips & techniques, and info about accessories, safety, cleaning, maintenance, restoration, and more. It's a companion to my WSM site The Virtual Weber Bullet and this discussion forum.

I hope you'll check it out and register to receive updates! And if you have topic ideas, please let me know. You can post them here, or as a comment on the blog, or by email to virtualwebergasgrill at gmail dot com.

Best,
Chris

Hey Chris,
I've been checking out your VWGG posts, and there is one thing that I would love to see. What is your preferred method for sear on steaks. There is a lot of info out there about "Grill Grates" and cast iron. I've seen that you own some cast iron, a plancha, and a press.

Any chance you could do a video or recipe set up where you talk about the following:
1. What do you currently prefer
2. Why?
3. Clean up and maintenance

I've always found your WSM info to be spot on. I would love to see a Gasser equivalent.

Thanks!

Most of the places (Walmart, Menards) that do the exchanges, simply put a sticker on the tanks when the recert and refill them. The stickers are just a number and are not valid outside the company that put the sticker on. If you take that tank to a fill station, they won't accept the sticker recert. It doesn't tell them anything. It doesn't give them a date or anything. It is just a random serious of numbers whose meaning is only known the the outfit that did the recert. I think a valid recert around here is $7 or so.

Best,
Chris

Well I have been reading old blog posts and I just realized that I had my cast iron grates in upside down !

http://virtualwebergasgrill.com/2016/04/cast-iron-cooking-grates-which-side-is-up/

I turned them over (actually the correct side up) when I was giving them the original scrub down after buying the grill. I thought to myself It would be kinda need cooking using that side. I guess Weber did also... Thanks Mr. Chris !!!

well that is somewhat debatable and there are times when one is more appropriate than the other. However, there is a fly in this. On some of the grates Weber made the cross bars stick up beyond the field bars (ones going front to back). Look at the photo Chris provided in that report and you can see what I am talking about quite clearly. This makes the grates about impossible to use in that manner. But on some of them they made the cross bars NOT interfere no matter which side was up. So I have found some times where it's a little more convenient to use the narrow side up. But mostly for cosmetic reasons in my personal experience and to keep the spacing for smaller foods as small as possible my personal experience with my own grates has been the flatter side up is a little easier to work with.

Back