red head restoration questions

AFoulk

Hi guys, new here and a new Weber gas grill owner as well. My FiL bought a new stainless genesis and gave us his old genesis a couple weeks ago. I will try and get some pics for you guys this week, but I have a couple questions for you guys on restoring. Externally its in great shape, but internally its hurting. Might need a burner assembly, but the flavorizor bars are almost completely gone, the grill grates are pretty ugly, as are the warming rack and basket, and the ignitor doesn't work. My questions are, what kind of paint do you guys use for the aluminum fire box and lid sides, and do you guys paint the insides of those parts or leave them bare? I have access to a bead blaster at work so cleaning them up isn't a problem. Do you recommend stainless hard ware for all the bolts? I need to get the control panel off to get a better look at the identification tag, but the little bit I can see of it is almost impossible to read, the numbers are pretty faded. I'm nit sure what year or model it is. Its a three burner, no side burner and has the wood side table and lid handle. Has the wire rack between the wheels. Its got the deep fire box with over lapping flavorizor bars. Luckily the porcelain coating on he lid is in good shape yet. Thanks for any help or suggestions you guys can give. Looking forward to getting this thing up and running once I have the spare funds. Tired of messing with charcoal lately, its tough having a family with two little boys and finding the time to play around with it.

Welcom to the site!
Pretty much sounds like a genesis 1000. I have a 1997 I bought new, not quite sure how long they went with the 13 flavorizer bar but I know it was to at least 1999. At some point they made a shallow fire box and went down to 5 bars.
Parts are very easy to find from on line sorces, Weber, Ebay. For FBs I would look up rcplanebuyer on Ebay he makes some great SS bars that are far superior to Webers and cost less. If he doesn't have them listed contact him and he will make them up for you I have them in mine and they are over 4 years old and are still like new. Those are great grills with a little time and effort it will look and work like new and you'll pass it on to one of your sons some day.
Chris just started a new blog site about Weber gas grills and there will be tips and restoration ideas on it so check in there from time to time to get some ideas
Heres the link
http://virtualwebergasgrill.com/

Welcome! Sounds like a Genny 1000 to me as well. I used the Rustoleum Ultra High Heat for grills when I restored my 1100. Goes on nice after a thorough paint removal. I advise on top notch FB's and Rich's suggestion on rcplanebuyer is a solid one. I prefer CI grates to cook on. But you will find many who prefer SS. If you go SS grates, rcplanebuyer SS grates are the best I've seen for the $$. I've stuck with Weber's porcelain coated cast iron and love 'em. I look forward to your pics.

For the cookbox and lid end caps, you only want to paint the outside of them - that's the way they come from momma Weber. If you painted the inside, the heat on the inside could cook the paint off and have those fumes swirling around your food inside.

For the outside, standard high-temp barbeque paint will do the trick.

SS hardware is nice if it's not very expensive in your area, but standard fasteners will do the trick too.

Back