Pork Loin

Frank C. in NY

TVWBB Member
I have a plain and simple pork loin I found in my freezer. Until this week I always grilled these up and the gasser. Now that I finally have my WSM I thought I would smoke it instead. I did some searching and couldn't really find what I was looking for on the site, so forgive me if it has been asked before.

I'm guessing to do this in the 225* range for smoke temp. But what is the IT I am shooting for?

Should I foil it?

How long to let it sit, if I should let it sit?

When I grill it I slice it off in small slices or chunks and place it on a bun or by itself. This should stay the same, correct?

Thanks in advance. When I do it up this week I'll get the pics going.

Internal temp your looking for 145. No need to foil it. You should let it rest tented I foil for 10-15 minutes. I usually stuff mine and slice it and serve with a mushroom gravy.

You shoud stop smoking L&S at 145 max remember the carry over effect
I usually stop before and finish in the grill oven looking for maillard effect
The rest for 15 minutes and sliced.
Thats all for me!

Frank, forget about IT 170 and follow the recommendations otherwise the meat will be dry.
Allow the meat to come to room temperature before smoking.
Cooking time may be about 1,5 - 2,5 hours, depending on the thickness of the meat.
Cold meat will take longer.

Last edited:
I love to smoke Pork Loin and it is one of my favorites to eat as well. I usually Brine first (the Apple Brine from this site work well), the apply Rub, then smoke it High and Fast around 300. I am sure everyone does it differently to their liking, but that is how I smoke mine. Experiment a few different ways in cook them and find the best one for you.

Last edited:
When I grill-roast a pork LOIN, I take it to 135 or 140F (we like our pork loin to be slightly pink in the center and so moist). Then we rest it for 10 to 15 minutes or so - the temperature will rise from retained heat to close to 145F. Perfect.

Rita

I've grilled it to an internal temp of 145, and I've smoked it for Canadian Bacon on the WSM to an internal temp of 145 degrees. Both have been really good as far as I'm concerned, but I am a fan of Canadian Bacon. My preference for pork on the grill is pork steaks...but that's just me! :D

Back