Craigslist Find

Chuck Bench

TVWBB Fan
So I found this E-310 on craigslist...ad says it's dirty and it needs an ignitor...get to his house to look at it and he tells me that it will fire up, but he can't show me because the grill has a quick disconnect for a 100 lb propane tank...also tells me that the front burner doesn't burn as hot as the others...I try to get him to come down on his price and he says no because it's a good deal where it's at...so I paid the man, loaded it up and brought it home...

took it apart and cleaned it up the best I could with my wife hounding me to grill steaks and to hurry up...he was right, it did need to be cleaned up and it did fire up...

so I got it cleaned and put back together, headed over to Lowe's and picked up the correct regulator and adapter for the 20 lb bottle and swapped it out...I also picked up a new Weber cover for it...it came with one but it was pretty ratty...

so the old grill cleaned up beautifully...I still need to clean up the stainless a little bit more...does anyone know what I can use on it?

so here's some before pics for y'all

20140531_165522_zpsregszewm.jpg

20140531_165456_zpswlc5lf2x.jpg

20140531_165506_zpsmm5smv1g.jpg

20140531_165538_zpseq1rgtgk.jpg

20140531_165552_zpsvxs7v8vd.jpg

oh yeah, for those of y'all wondering, I paid $200 for the grill...couldn't be happier...

I will probably never get rid of this grill...now I need to get some SS flavorizer bars, and the SS Gourmet BBQ system from Weber...

I also need to get a new ignitor and the pan that the disposable trays sit in and then I'll be all set

Just a word of caution --- the bottom panel of these grills is weak at best. It would be in your interest at some point to clean it up and spray a fresh coat of paint on it. Especially if it's stored on the ground instead of a deck. Otherwise - congrats on a nice find.

PS - flip the CI grates to the flat side is up and pointy side is down. That way food doesn't 'sink in' and makes flipping a lot easier.

thanks for the word of caution...I read some other threads that talked about the bottom panel rusting out...mine is starting to rust under the paint in some spots...I'm gonna probably break it down to parade rest and strip and paint all the panels on the box and reassemble it...

and I didn't know that about the grates...I thought having the points up would be better for searing...I guess not, I'll clean them and flip them over

Nice find.
By the way, I thought I was one of the last to use the phrase Parade Rest. I got that one from the Navy.

Guys sure appreciate the time you took out of your personal lives to serve. Thanks!!!! Oh and nice looking grill. As for the pointy vs flat that's another whole debate

I have a E320 and as Chad said the lower end of these grills is the weak spot for rust and Webers SS is not the best quality (try a magnet test). Also if you're going to keep it on cement or grass make sure you have a mat under it as a vapor barrier. The moisture that comes off of cement is pretty caustic because of the lime and other compounds in it and it will attack the metal.
Other then that they are great grills.

I have a E320 and as Chad said the lower end of these grills is the weak spot for rust and Webers SS is not the best quality (try a magnet test). Also if you're going to keep it on cement or grass make sure you have a mat under it as a vapor barrier. The moisture that comes off of cement is pretty caustic because of the lime and other compounds in it and it will attack the metal.
Other then that they are great grills.

Thanks for the tip on setting it on a mat. I store my E-210 on concrete at the moment. What sort of mat do you recommend? Something like one of those rubber exercise mats?

Good find on the E-310, Chuck.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip on setting it on a mat. I store my E-210 on concrete at the moment. What sort of mat do you recommend? Something like one of those rubber exercise mats?

I use these for all my grills they are heavy duty rubber and will fit almost any size grill. $20 at Home Depot. The one in the picture is 4 years old and still looks like new.
raddyampPatio009_zpsfa18566e.jpg

Last edited:
Guys sure appreciate the time you took out of your personal lives to serve. Thanks!!!! Oh and nice looking grill. As for the pointy vs flat that's another whole debate
Thanks, that's very nice of you.
As for pointy vs flat. I went flat up, but there's no way I'm jumping into that argument. It's like lump vs briquettes. Do what works for you.

As for the pointy vs flat that's another whole debate

I used to think pointy up was the right way also. Even weighed in on a few of those debates until I flipped em' pointy side down. Much easier with things like burgers and chicken breast because they don't 'sink' into the flat side of the grates like on the pointy side. Flipping became a non issue because the spatula slides under the meat instead of having to dig through what sank beyond the point. If you're still on the other side of the fence, try it.

Thanks for all the tips guys...

to answer some questions and comments...

We're in the process of building a deck so the moisture shouldn't be an issue.

I served proudly in the US Navy and I loved every minute of it...if they didn't try screwing around with me on my re-enlistment orders I would still probably be in...

The metal tray that the disposable trays go into is missing...when I order the new ignitor, I'm going to order a pan also...for now I figured they'd at least catch some stuff under the hole hopefully

pointy or flat...I like my grates like my women...pointy side up not down lol...it won't be an issue soon because I'm ordering the Gourmet BBQ SS grill setup from Weber

Back