We are in a hurry cooking beer can chicken

Jody Abbott

What is the quickest we can cook these chickens? Just put 2 beer can chickens on the gasser, corked with onions and wrapped the top of the chickens with foil. Can we cook over 375?

Sure. I regularly do chicken at higher heat. You'll be good and crispy by the time it's done and the drums and wings might be a little over done.

Agree with Bob, the wings are the best part, so wrap them in foil about an hour into the cook

Thank you guys. I was heading out to do it. When one hard headed marine wants to do the opposite of this hard headed marine. cant wait to blame the dry wings and drummies on him. but im sure he'll figure it out how to blame it on me.

Last edited:
Thank you guys. I was heading out to do it. When one hard headed marine wants to do the opposite of this hard headed marine. cant wait to blame the dry wings and drummies on him. but im sure he'll figure it out how to blame it on me.

Thank you for your service. And good luck with fellow Marine.

Ya know.... grilling and BBQ is not about being in a hurry. Its more like take it easy, relax and have fun with the cook.
Slow down, life is way too short to be in a hurry.

Jody, welcome to the group!

It's a little late to help you on yesterday's cook, but I do our Beer Can Chickens at Indirect/450F (MH-O-MH) on a Weber Genesis gasser. 4- to 5-pound chickens take 30 minutes, rotate, + 25 minutes, with thigh temp at 170F to 175F. Rest (the chicken, not you) for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. I use the Weber beer can vertical "Roaster" and have been very pleased with it...if you have one, be sure to oil the plug that goes into the neck opening for easy removal. Water works well enough in the cup -- the chicken really doesn't absorb any of the fancy wines, etc. that folks add, IMO. I add about 1 1/2 cups water to the bottom of the tray before cooking to increase the juices from the chicken (and to reduce any salt from a rub), degrease them in one of those gravy separators, and then serve in a small pitcher (a creamer, really) with the chicken and/or rice, noodles, couscous (sides)....chicken jus. Did it last night.

Thanks from the heart for your service from me and mine too!
Rita

Last edited:
Thanks Rita! Reading this 2 years later. I will put it to good use. Can't wait to feed these guys some good food.

Last edited:
The article also pointed out that using a bunt cake pan is also a bad idea, for some of the same reasons that the beer can method is a bad idea. I just used a bunt cake pan to cook a turkey in the mini joe smoker, the turkey needed to be vertical to fit. Although using the bunt pan worked for the situation, it's wrong for so many reasons including crazy temperature variation.

Last edited:
I have a friend who waves the beer can chicken flag with great flourish. I have never seen any advantage or improvement. The vertical roasting does make some sense but, I never eat the back meat (or skin) but use it in roasted chicken stock so, I will continue using the method I have used for forty some years and stay content.
At least until I get my Vortex and go vertical inside that.

I have a friend who waves the beer can chicken flag with great flourish. I have never seen any advantage or improvement. The vertical roasting does make some sense but, I never eat the back meat (or skin) but use it in roasted chicken stock so, I will continue using the method I have used for forty some years and stay content.
At least until I get my Vortex and go vertical inside that.

Oh forget pointing out possible advantages of not using a can of beer shoved up the cavity of a bird with my boat mates. They just look at you like you are some sort of communist and must be stupid.

Last edited:
Excuse me? I'm not seeing a point Jody.
Willing to listen to a reasonable non "Communist" point of view but, this has been analyzed, researched and discussed ad nauseum, there are can insterters and non inserters, I have found it a silly waste of time and beer. Beer belongs in folks not fowl.

Back