Smoke Day Bachelor Camping Trip with a Vegetarian

Matt Sandman

Smoking in your back yard is just too easy ;) so I had to up the ante just a bit.

My buddy is getting married this weekend, so we spent this past weekend camping with a few good friends. A very low key bachelor weekend, but at my age that is just fine. So in honor of Smoke Day 10 I hauled the WSM up to about 8000 ft and decided to smoke a feast in the middle of nowhere, and did I mention the groom is a vegetarian. Challenge accepted!

The menu consisted of smoked brie (thanks Ray Crick for the recipe), ABT's and vegetarian ABT's, stuffed and smoked Portobellos, vegetarian baked beans, and a Tri Tip for us meat lovers. I used an Apricot Pepper Jelly with the brie, and wrapped it all in puff pastry, it didn't look pretty but it tasted amazing. I'm definitely going to work on this one to get a better presentation. I used the leftover puff pastry to wrap up the vegetarian ABT's, and it worked like a charm. The baked beans were an adaptation of several different recipes that I looked at, and the Tri Tip was my take on a Santa Maria Style. I did over cook the Trip Tip a little, but the group prefered their beef a little more well done.

All in all it was a grand success with one big exception. It is very difficult to take pictures while huddled around a campfire stuffing your face. Here is what I was able to manage, sorry for the large images...

1.jpg

1.jpg

1.jpg

1.jpg

I definitely under-estimated the effects of the altitude, but I managed my way through it, and the results were worth the effort. Lots of great compliments form the group as well.

Back