How to cook competition style Ribs?

SteveM.

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi all, how do you cook the competition style ribs that the judges prefer? I see where they don't like fall off the bone ribs and that's the only way mine come out? Should I not foil? Thanks for any help or advice.

Hi Steve,

Ahhhh.... Fall off the bone ribs. One of the greatest restaurant ploys since they're soooo easy to attain, ie overcooked. ;)
Easiest way to change from overcooked to something less... lessen the time they're cooking.

We prefer ribs that are not overcook, nor undercooked. We want a clean bite through with good texture, ie not mushy, and pull cleanly from the bone.
When that bite is taken, look immediately at the bone. Should be wet but dry almost immediately. This is a sign of a well cooked rib.

Hope that helps.

Wishing you Rib Success !

KCBS flavor is looking for something not too of anything. Not too sweet, not too salty, not too spicy, etc. and a color that says eat me. Black backyard color wont cut it

You can still foil, just don't cook them as long in the foil. Keep an eye on them, and a toothpick handy. Once that toothpick goes in with little to no resistance, you're good.

Even though we don't like overcooked ribs, slightly overdone is better than underdone any day.

Must be a very fine line between undercooked and competition because I cook mine almost always 4 hours at 250 and they're not falling apart but you can almost always pull a bone out that's smoking 3 hours foiling 1 hour much less than that and you'd be undue cooked I'd think especially since most people on here claim 5 to 7 hours for ribs ...

My recommendation for every competitor is to take the judging course. That way you know what the judges have been taught to look for.

Totally agree, Dwain.
Once a CBJ, judging some contests is an immense help. The discussions following each turn-in is where it's at !

Back