Got My Fingers Crossed...

R L Bagwell

TVWBB Pro
First Snake Method cook went underway at 0600 - 8.5 Lb butt went on rack with internal temp of 41* - added 12 lit to the fuse, and watched the kettle temp climb to 278 (around 0618), so I closed the top vent approximately halfway; it continued to rise, albeit very slowly, so I've shut the bottom vent until the temp stopped climbing. It's now 0710, and the kettle temp SEEMS to have settled in at 256*, following beaucoup fiddling with the bottom vent to achieve a stabile temp.

Pix to be posted down the road.

Regards,

Rooster

PS - speaking of PIX, did anyone else using Image Shack recently get a message advising future uploads would now require an "upgraded plan" of $2.00 per month or $20.00 per year? I just shelled out a Jackson for that privilege.

I did my second snake last night, it holds my OTG kettle between 225 and 250 spot on, it's perfect I can go do other stuff and not touch it. I construct mine with a layer of 2 briq's on the bottom and then 2 briq's on top basically 4 briq's and it holds perfect temp.

I use Photobucket and haven't been charged yet

Temps started yo-yoing again - from a high of 282º to a low of 225º - don't know if it's being caused by my hickory chunks igniting or not - overall I guess I'm more or less satisfied with the results thus far, but I'd really prefer to have a bit less "tamper with the damper" - also, butt temp is now up to 120º; still undecided whether or not to foil at 165º.

Regards,

Rooster

I construct mine with a layer of 2 briq's on the bottom and then 2 briq's on top basically 4 briq's and it holds perfect temp.

Are you using actual fire bricks? I'm using a loaf pan with water in the center of the snake (Although the Snake Method YouTube tutorial uploaded by the Aussie doesn't use either.)

Regards,

Rooster

Kettle temps have held steady at 255º for the past ninety minutes or so; butt just hit 165º. By George, I just might have this snake thingy figgered out (knock on wood)...

Regards,

Rooster

1330 hours, fuel spent - temps started dropping rather rapidly - wrapped butt tightly in foil, put in 290* oven; butt temp at 176*. Had 4-deep briquettes seven-eighths of the way around - thought charcoal would've lasted longer than it did. I used Kingsford competition briquettes this time, and since I understand they burn hotter than the blue stuff, that may account for the faster burn.

Will post pix within the next couple of days.

Regards,

Rooster

Stick a fork in me, I'm done - so's the butt - 1515 hours it hit 200*, so I double-wrapped it in foil, wrapped in a towel, and put it to bed in a cooler. Plan to shred around 1730 or so.

Regards,

Rooster

Are you using actual fire bricks? I'm using a loaf pan with water in the center of the snake (Although the Snake Method YouTube tutorial uploaded by the Aussie doesn't use either.)

Regards,

Rooster

I didn't use a pan or fire bricks the snake only went 1/2 way around the bowl, I was doing ribs and didn't the extended time.

Any pic's of your butt?

Been busy moving Azaleas - hard work for an old geezer... hope to get 'em posted tomorrow or the next day at the latest!

Regards,

Rooster

"I didn't use a pan or fire bricks the snake only went 1/2 way around the bowl"

DOH!!!

"Briqs" means briquettes, not BRICKS!!!

(Heavy Sigh) I really need to start paying attention... yeah, I did the four-deep method myself....

Regards,

Rooster

Back