No foil harmed in this cook!! 18.5 hr marathon - packer + BBRs

Monty House

TVWBB Pro
Old School Smoke Day here, folks: i.e., No foiling allowed!

Started with 13 lb. packer on Friday night, 11pm. Meathead's Big Bad Beef Rub (my first time....try it, it's a winner)

Used Lazarri mesquite lump for overnight (haven't used lump before overnight; only KBB). Learned stuff (no shock, eh?). PACK THE RING. I thought I'd get by with 2/3 of a ring to start, but lump is not briquets. It doesn't cook as evenly, and there are big gaps between the larger pieces. So, long story short, I fought temps a little (keeping temps up, that is) over the 18.5 hour cook. More of an annoyance vs. a huge pain. Here's a shot of Redneck Temperature Control

Pulled the 13 lb'er after 14.5 hours. Most of the night, I was running about 235 at the grate and closer to 200-205 at the lid. Just perfect. Blend of mesquite and pecan wood. 195 or so in the flat; probed tender.

Threw on three racks of BBRs. Again, called on Meathead's nice collection of recipes for his Memphis Dust rub. Here they are at 2 hours (at about 250 at the grate) arranged in my SS Ikea pot lid organizer (which accordians and serves as a neat rib holder)

Brisket coming out of faux cambro and foil after 4+ hour rest--piping hot. Loved the bark which had that great sticky/tacky feel I was seeking

Slices of lean and moist, with the odds & ends getting chopped & sauced

Bowl of rapidly diminishing ribs! 3.5 hours and they were done. Sauced with Rum Sauce, which everyone loved. Great finishing rib glaze.

Your plate.... slice of lean & moist, some ribs and Alton Brown's baked beans. Happy Smoke Day 2014, WSM Fans!

Thanks, John. My daughter's boyfriend paid me the highest compliment: Out of my earshot, he asked her: "Can we trade dads?" I had him glove up and become my co-knife man. The poor kid probably ate more from the carving table than others did while seated!

Good looking food right there. Love to get me some of that brisket but what I have on the go will have to do.

I am reading this as I am doing my first overnight brisket. I was starting to get nervous, but I'm reassured seeing a good example of how it should be done. Thanks for sharing!

Your plate.... slice of lean & moist, some ribs and Alton Brown's baked beans. Happy Smoke Day 2014, WSM Fans!

This looks fantastic! Well done!

Here are my questions though, do you normally foil your ribs and/or brisket? And did you put your beans in the smoker at all?

Beautiful eats, and I like your idea of using the Ikea pot lid organizer as a rib rack. I'm going to have to get myself one of those.

Here are my questions though, do you normally foil your ribs and/or brisket? And did you put your beans in the smoker at all?

I've never foiled ribs and the only time foiling brisket is during a high heat cook. The beans are Alton Brown's, and they cooked for 6 hours in my oven. They absorbed all the water and were tender, but a tad bit dry. Not sure what I would change; this was my first time making that recipe.

I'm guilty of foiling ribs (doing the 3,2,1) and after my last cook I told my wife; "I think I'm going to skip foiling."
After reading / seeing your post, I know I for sure I'm gonna skip foiling
Nice cook!

Hey, I don't know if you noticed, but your door is upside down and your smoker don't have any legs :p

Back